DENNIS' S GRANDAD & HENRY FORD ( MORE OLD STUFF )

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: DENNIS' S GRANDAD & HENRY FORD ( MORE OLD STUFF )
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:24:20 EDT
Subj:   Re: AIRSTRIPS FOR DRAGS & AIRPLANES / OTHER RAMBLINGS
Date:   6/11/01 11:33:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:   DRAG INC
To:     FastmetalBDF

Hi Bruce.  You know I really enjoy opening up your mail, especially when you
walk me down memory lane.  Most of the stuff you stated in this mail was not
a memory for me (unfortunately), as I was younger then, in fact in 1950 I was
only 8 yrs old.  So, I only remember the rumble seat in my Father's Chevy .
But, as I got older I remember the stories of my Father's experiences and
then my Grandfather's stories.
Maybe I'll share this one.  I don't know how familiar you are w/Westchester
County in NY, but in the city of Yonkers, where everyone knows of  the
trotters and Yonkers Raceway.  Well, prior to that, it was in fact a dirt
race car track which was one of the race tracks of the circuit of the Indy
cars.  Well, Henry Ford had car # 999 driven by Barney Ofield.  My
Grandfather and my uncle had a service station located on Central Ave right
around the corner from the race track where they sold Mitchell gas.  Well one
day they were doing trial runs and my Grandfather got a call from a friend of
his asking him to do Henry Ford a favor and go over to the track to see if he
could help solve an iginition problem. With that, off he went and looked at
the car and told Ford he had something that he had been working on that might
solve the problem.  Well, as we know it today it was a magneto.  Yes, that's
what is was way back in the early 1900's, but he never patented anything,
just like cars and helping people. Well after the work Barney Ofield took the
car around the track and said everything was working fine now.  Henry Ford
asked my Grandfather how much he owed him but my Grandfather told him "no
charge" as he was refered by a mutual friend.  Well the end of the story goes
like this;  My Grandfather did say to Henry Ford, "well, you know, I would
like to drive the car around the track for one lap". Henry Ford, responded,
"why you skinny -----, I wouldn't let you set foot in my car".  With that, my
Grandfather told him to go ...himself and never ask for any help in the
future. Needless to say I'm sure you know that Henry Ford hated 'some
types'.  Well, you guessed it, the following year Henry Ford came out and
once again had some problems, so he had his friend call my Grandfather.  I
don't think I have to tell you his response.   So now you know why I only had
chevrolets LOL.
I just thought I'd like to share a little of my family's background w/cars
when they were first invented.  Getting back to your memories, I really
enjoyed what you wrote and as I sit here at 2:30AM I'm glad that at least I
grew up in the 50's as a teenager and was aware of Charlestown R.I. and our
Montgomery Drag Strip here in NY and Westhampton Dragway out on Long Island.
Now you know why my home track of Dover Drag Strip has such a sentimental
place in my heart and so many memories in my mind.  We lived in the best of
times Bruce...none of which this younger generation will ever know nor would
even fathom the greatness of those that made automobile building and racing
what it is today.
I look forward to hearing back from you, and will look forward to seeing you
at CT Nostalgia nite on June 18th at Wallingford.
Dennis Tate

///