Small V8's

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small V8's
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:29:55 -0400
Bryan and List
The smallest V8 I recall seeing was the 60's 'Grand Prix' engine of
Coventry Climax at all of 92 cid or 1500 cc.  This was a racing engine from
the 'family' of Coventry Climax engines which also powered fire pumps.
The Daimler is 2,500cc in round figures (150 cid) but has had a poor
history of overheating.  If the water coolant has not been treated to avoid
buld up of scale inside the block/heads, then headgasket failure follows as
expansion distorts block/head.  Not many tuning parts were available but
the engine was stout as standard.  The Daimler is forgotten by British
builders as the Rover (Buick) at 3,500 cc was considered a better starting
point.  We had a drag racer who used a blown nitro burning Daimler in a
'rail' because it was an engineering challenge.
Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

///