Re: Bent Deuce Front axles and U

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bent Deuce Front axles and U
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 00:28:55 -0000
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:25:28 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2001 8:32:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com writes:

 > My best guess would be to take this thing to a reputable big truck
alignment
 > shop and ask them if they'd do it.  But mebbe there's a better way ?
Mebbe
 > It's not such a good idea to try and use something that might be suspect
?

 > What do you guys think ?

 > Doug,
   Anybody that drops pre-1949 Ford axles has the equipment to straighten
one. They usually straighten them while they're bending them to achieve the
"drop".

Ardun

YEAH, I FIGGER THE SAME WAY THERE DOUG,..... ONLY I DONT THINK THERES ANYONE
DOING AXLES ANNYWHERE NEAR THE EAST COAST!   OW! ON THE SHIPPING COSTS.....

MIGHT WELL BE CHEAPER TO JUST BUY A NEW ONE WHEN THE TIME COMES.....

AS USUAL, I'M TRYIN' "TO FIGURE ALL THE ANGLES" AND DO IT FOR NEXT TO
NOTHING!   FIGURES DON'T IT ?

:=)   Thanks Doug, yer pal,  "Doug down south"

  (wishing beyond all belief that I was back in my adopted Montana.....)

PS:    I've been puttin' in the hours on the AutoCad drafting of the Sawdust
Spl. using your provided numbers, some from others, and Bill Fisher's great
lil' book "Ford Speed Manual from circa 1950!....I found in there today that
he recommended that a "V8" be put in a chassis 17" behind the center of the
front spring (measured from the face of the V8 block )  Found this after I
had already drawn most of the entire side view..... so I measured, ( which
can be extremely accurate: to 4 or more decimal places if need be!)  I had
carefully figured my placement of everything, but had not considered looking
at it the way he explained it.  I have it drawn with a "suicide Perch"
welded to t 2 1/2" tube front crossmember.  Guess what?  He recommended 17"
  I had drawn 16.974 inches.  Did I do good?   he  he he.....   I then moved
the engine and trans back .026 (-thats just 26 thousands !)to make it come
out to a nice round 17".

     Which brings forth a good question:  I'm drawing this as a very low
channeled car, with a front chassis ground clearance of 6"...
-and with 31 1/2" rear tires mounted on 16" old Ford rims.  The question is:
what what angle should the engine and trans centerline be?   I've now got it
set at 1 degree.  I tried 2 and felt the engine looked to high in the
framerails.  oil pan clearance is now at 8" (accurately accodding to your
pan depth information....)  that means right as it is, the frame rails are
2" below the lowest point of the frame.....

So,..... what can a guy do?  I think it will have to stay at 1 degree.

    I think if I remember right, that carb bases on manifolds are set to 3
degrees if I'm not mistaken, implying at least that a 3 degree agngle might
be the "norm"  (I'm speaking of common '50s-'60s  '70s American  cars here)

WOW  -this sure turned into some PS    din't it ?????

anyway, have a good evenin' -and thanks for all your thought and input!

Mebbe someday soon I'll mail some of you a gen-U-ine Blueprint of the
Sawdust Special!