Re: Armstrong shocks

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Armstrong shocks
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:54:47 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/2001 8:44:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
paul.blandavon@btinternet.com writes:

> Doug, it depends on your definition of "american"threads the Morris (minor)
> and Austin(mini) both used imperial threads but for the most part there's
> virtually no differance, as you said they both produced pick-ups both a
> Minor pick up and a Mini pick up, it's no wonder the british car industry
> went down the pan, we got the austin mini pick up and you got all those
> great ford,chevy and dodge pick ups. You're also right about the SU carbs
> they have three settings, bad, very bad and really very bad!, one of the
> first tuning steps on the Rover V8 engine is junk the twin SU's and fit a
> Holley, it has to be said though that they were popular carbs in the 70's
> for drag racing(until someone imported Holleys) including almost standard
> fitment on blown fuel drag bikes!
> regards, Paul.

Paul,
       My experiences with the SU's wern't as bad as had been rumored, but
they do take occasional tinkering to keep 2 out of the 3 RPM modes reasonably
happy. It's odd how their adjustment can deteriorate without anyone touching
them.
       The Morris and Mini vehicles are great cars and a lot of fun to drive,
much like a Go-Kart with their size and rack & pinion steering. My Van came
from the factory equipped with a 948cc single carb 35hp engine and 4.56
differential gears. By the time I got it someone had installed a 1275cc 60+hp
Midget-Sprite powerplant, ribcage tranny, and 4.20 gear in the rear end. I
changed the gear to 3.9, replaced the single 948carb with the correct 2-carb
setup, converted the front brakes to disc, and overhauled just everything in
sight, making the little thing as much fun as my street rods to
drive.............................Ardun Doug King

///