Re: one offs

To: "DOUG ODOM" <popms@thegrid.net>, <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: one offs
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:18:14 -0400
> Doug,    I believe that the motor in the roadster was a 302 ford that
> Roush Racing built. It was one of their Trans Am motors and made about
> 620 HP. I heard it was leased and it cost a lot.
> One of the other Dougs

A couple of years ago, while pursuing a truck LSR project, I had the
opportunity to discuss with people at Roush, the lease of a "Winston Cup"
motor.  Actually, we spec'd out an appropriate  "C" class engine somewhere
between a qualifying and a race motor.  The lease price allows you to get
more propriority technology because you do not get to open the engine.  They
supply a tuner that comes with the motor and attends the event.  My price
was over/around $70K.  I don't dare reveal the exact price for fear my
friends at Roush will never talk to me again.
Pointedly, as Doug suspects, Extremely expensive.  But when we consider the
cost to develop and build , and the fact that you have a known commodity,
perhaps worth the price.   My project did not get funded, therefore we did
not have a real quote, but I knew the balpark....

The technician Bobby got was Jack Roush hisself.  Funny guy.  I did not know
him, but one of my crew members knows him very well from his Ford Engineer
days, and introduced us, when Jack was looking at my car.  His only comment
was "huh, a poly v belt drive"   (for water pump and alternator)

BTW, Bobby U did that good driving stuff on really bad wet
salt....1993....the same year I joined the spinout club.....
I remember them adding about a "ton" of ballast.....

Rick

///