KEEPING YER FLATHEAD' S KOOOOL - - - - -

To: saltracer@hotmail.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: KEEPING YER FLATHEAD' S KOOOOL - - - - -
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:29:41 EDT
         Phil, Try this site :    www.jabsco.com      This will show you the
complete line of Rule, Jabsco, and Flojet pumps .... for many applications .
        I have seen Jabsco " Water Puppy " electric pumps used on many
drag cars in the past .... they were quite often seen on gassers and altereds
.
        Keep in mind the fact that many flatheads can be cooled more
efficiently by restricting the water flow so that it has more time to
transfer
the heat in the radiator into the ambient airflow going through it .
       Many years ago we learned these tricks from the midget racers who
ran the V8 60 Fords( of 1937 to 40 ) ...... put washers with a hole smaller
than the hose ID in the hoses for flow restriction ...... or cut off, or
reduce
the size of every OTHER impeller vane in the water pumps to reduce the
pumping output .  It worked on our Ford coupes on hot summer nights
back when they were called "jalopies"..... the late 40s and early 50s .
    I am sure some of the guys at the lakes, and on the street, too, were
doing this in the mid to late thirties .  You won' t need to resort to this
when you run the right electric pump that will save the horses for turning
the pumps for pushing your roadster thru the wind !   Flatheads always
have needed a helping hand keeping their cool when the going got tough
........ up a long mountain climb in the summer / in the heat of battle in
a 30 lap feature / or maybe crossing the desert in the summer .......
we traveled ( and got our KICKS ! ) on Route 66 in the fall of ' 56, in a
' 53 ragtop running the last of the flatties, without a hitch ...... but a
guy
in a big Caddy, who had passed us at well over 100 some miles back,
was BURNED UP in more ways than one when we pulled into the little
outpost gas station where he was standing watching the geyser erupt
from his radiator ...... and we blew the horn and waved and laughed at
him !!!    Just one of many memories of crossing America all the way,
TWICE, with Flathead Power BOTH times, and Henry' s powerplants
NEVER missed a BEAT !!!  Only casualties : a big face full of very
cold slush from a passing semi in Arizona, and one blown tire at 75
just outside of Tucumcari, New Mexico ...... for which I still have the
receipt from the gas station there for the new tire to replace a well
traveled spare !   I am rambling on here : a senior citizen privelege,
so I' ll just advise you to  HAVE FUN  building your roadster, and
make certain your bent eight  KEEPS  ITS'  KOOL  !!!
         Bruce,
Going outside now to enjoy the 58 * heatwave ......

///