Re: Maxton

To: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: Maxton
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:45:12 +0000
List,

Chuck was smart enought to point out the drainage system as a possible tornado
hiding location...shit! Us Delaware boys don't know anything about tornados!!!
John Beckett got slighty injured when a table went airborn and got him in the
kidney. Everyboby got sand blasted and very wet. An hour later, the sky was
clear
and we had a beautiful evening.

On my ride home, I stopped off at Wasted Willie Glass' Home and gave Willie his
13th Place Points Plaque. Of course, Willie commented that he wouldn't mind if
he
finished 14th or 15th instead of having the number 13. Willie showed me his
'latest Ardun', it is a brand new 50 something year old complete setup. I got to
open a cardboard box holding the copper composite head gaskets, open a clothe
draw string bag with Ardun, Made In NewYork printed on the outside, to revile
head stud nuts. What a piece of history!!!  We spent 3 hours going over the
changes planned for this year. I'd say Old Wasted has many tricks up his sleeve
for this year!!!

joe

Chuck Rothfuss wrote:

> Glen, List,
>
>    We got some "Maxton Horsepower" this weekend alright.  Saturday we got in
> well over 200 passes, with a pretty good tail wind at times.  Sunday we had
> to shut down a little early, since the wind was switching from straight down
> the track to about 45 degrees from the left (out of the west).  Joe Timney
> got a little worried about how the tower was moving and decided it was time
> to call it a day.  Anyone who was disappointed with the early closing and
> left quickly should be thankful.  Mother Nature showed us who was boss, with
> a very ugly storm.  Brown, soil filled skies right out of "Twister", and
> some gusting winds that were strong enough to blow 55 gallon drums into the
> woods like paper cups and tip over a tractor trailer near the airport.
> After the scary part was over and the skies cleared we had only minor damage
> to the "Jim Biggs Memorial Timing Tower" and had solved the mystery of how
> rocks keep getting back onto the course.  They're blown there.
>
>    60 MPH tailwinds would sure have been interesting, but not when there's
> tornados in the area. (The field's drainage system was starting to look like
> a pretty good spot to take cover, since it was dry, well below ground, and
> only a few yards from the tower.) Hope everyone else going home to the East
> made it through alright.  We saw lots of towns without power on our way back
> to the coast, and are still getting blown around pretty good here.
>
> Chuck Rothfuss
> Pole Cat Hollow, NC

///
///