Re: liner tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: liner tires
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:08:02 EST
In a message dated 02/18/2001 2:55:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
paul.blandavon@btinternet.com writes:

<< list,anyone got any comments as to how the small top fuel type tires
compare
 handling wise (or any other way) to the more normal front runners or the
 mickey thompson 24/26inch tires, I've made the decision as to which
 wheels/tires to use on the rear of my planned streamliner but I'm a little
 stuck on the front ones, help!. also has anyone got a contact no for the
 goodyear tech line?
 have a good sunday,
 Paul Bland.

Paul,
    Are you refering to the 17-18" rim "O" ring types currently used on the
Top Fuelers or the much smaller 6" or so rim types that were tried several
years ago?
    The "O" ring types are certified to 300mph at the drags but the LSR
people have found that, depending on the weight of the car, when you get to
the mid-200mph range they tend to start losing treads.
    The cure has been to "shave" the excess tread from the tire, reducing the
centrifugal mass.
    I only ran mine to the mid-190's with the stock tread and never had a
problem..
                                                Ardun Doug King

///
///