Re: One Roof...

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: One Roof...
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:23:44 -0500
I don't know if this is what you have in mind Keith but what
I envisioned was pretty simple. A new set of records that is
not venue specific that gives recognition for terminal
velocity in a SCTA legal car with a minimum trap length of
132 one way pass terminal speed. trap can be longer than 132
run up is up to you and shutdown is your problem too. I
don't care if the run up is 2 feet or 10 miles... if it is
the fastest with a 1 mile trap well that has 132 feet in it
so it is fastest in 132 feet too..

Seems mighty simple and rewards extraordinary efforts that
did not result in a 2 way record but exhibit what can and
has been done. as far as venues being fair well pick your
own poison. A small light car might have the advantage at
Maxton with low altitude and good bite. and a big liner
might have the advantage at Bonneville maybe someone else
has El Mirage down to a science... Ya got a jet or rocket
maybe Black Rock is the place to go. Don't live near any of
these maybe Lake Gairdner...or an airfield in the UK..

For me it was all about extraordinary efforts that resulted
in a spectacular terminal speed. Tom Burkland did not get a
record with his one way pass but if anyone asks me who has
the fastest wheel driven car my answer is him. The two way
record is only a matter of time and details. Same goes for a
lot of other outstanding accomplishments I have seen. maybe
they were not a 2 way way record but they did impress the
heck out of me. Sort of like the NHRA MPH record. Does not
win a race but you know has the beans under the hood.. Glen
do all the trap speeds get lost after an event after the
record is recorded or are they in an archive somewhere?
Dave Dahlgren

Keith Turk wrote:

> Okay Malcolm.... thanks for spilling the beans ... ( it was funny )  Several
> of us have been chatting via E-mail about this Whole international record
> thing and what constitutes a Record... distances... so on and so forth...
> Mostly we have been talking about Why we would want to suggest such a thing.
>
> I don't think we can dismiss the FIA off hand.... it's my opinion that they
> have a Place.... unfortunately I am not sure they want to be an all
> inclusive body avalible to every competitor at an SCTA style event....  ( I
> think that is still in question )
>
> I don't see how you guys can say Comparing records from around the world is
> like comparing apples and oranges it's NOT.... lets take my Camaro in
> D/F/ALT trim..... if it sets a record at Maxton.... that is the Fastest
> ever.... and we had an organization that sanctions that event..... Guess
> what guys... it's the Fastest EVER.... Period.... it's Not Bonneville and it
> won't claim the Bonneville record.... But it would be uncontested that it is
> the FASTEST...
>
> In my mind that is the Purpose of a Single set of WORLD records that allows
> EVERYONE to compete.... not just the special construction catagory.....
> This also allows for Vehicles outside the scope of the Traditional SCTA
> venues... like the Rocket Bike and Barstool....( I can hear you screaming
> from here )  It's about EVERY competitor in my mind.... One set of
> records.... one set of Standards and Values....
>
> Just keep in mind the flexibility issue.... Each Venue has different
> Problems.... and each has to be set up to do differently.... Some will have
> greater distances.... thereby affording them the opportunity for Greater
> speeds.... some will have Lower speeds...( take Maxton and El Mirage as
> examples)  It's about the search for the Best Venues.... and if you want to
> hold the WORLD record.... your going to have to race at the Fastest
> Venue.... Today that is Bonneville.... and I strongly support Save the
> Salt.... Rick has done a great job... each of us needs to continue that
> effort....
>
> Anyway that is the same set of thoughts with a few different words....  it's
> my opinion....
>
> Where we go from here is up to you guys... I think it's a Valid thought....
>
> Keith

///
///