Re: International Records

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: International Records
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:50:06 EST
In a message dated 01/31/2001 8:07:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nafzger@vtc.net writes:

<<
 Doug,
 I guess what we are looking at here is just an honest difference of opinion.
 If you are getting records against different stsndards, they should be
 classified different. It dilutes th accomplishments of some to combine them.
  I have stirred up enough conversation here, I guess I don't fit in to our
 "feel good" society as well as some others do.
 This is not a great big issue with me, Bryan and I know what we accomplished
 and how we did it on a shoestring. There is room here for everyones opinion.
 Howard

Howard,
    You're right, it's just a difference of opinion. No one can ever deny the
accomplishments of you and Bryan with your streamliner.
    You fit just fine in our "feel-good" society.
    Regards different conditions, as I said before, records set in the heat
of August on a sloppy race course with  a density-altitude of 8000' go into
the same record book as the guys marks set in October on a great surface with
a density altitude of 4000'. The records set in 2000 using the latest SBC
technology and the best aerodynamics available run against the 1955 SBC
records that were set using many stock engine internal components.
    Last summer I ran against the oldest car record in the SCTA book, set in
1969 by Cramer & Taylor (Bill Taylor, our short-course starter) with a 258ci
Ardun (running in E/FMR) in an "aerodynamically(sp) challenged" roadster
running on "the-can" for three passes. I had a 294ci engine with all modern
internals running on 55% in a chassis that had the body work designed by an
aeronautical engineer. I only had to make two passes. Not necessarily my
choice, just the way Mother Nature and Riley Chemical forced SCTA-BNI to run
the meet...............Ardun Doug King

///
///