Re: Can you clarify

To: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: Can you clarify
From: Ugo Fadini <ugo@ugofadini.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:14:39 +0100
Joe (and list),

if I remember well, the Feuling 'liner was a 3-wheeler when it set
the FIM record (FIM caters for 2 and 3 wheeler records, FIA for 4 or
more), so it is actually a different record than the Easyriders.

Re Vesco, Teague (and Summers, etc): I just posted an article on my
new web site that tries to make things clear and give everyone a
chance to decide for themselves who holds the so-called "wheel
driven" record. You are welcome to read it at
http://www.ugofadini.com/lsrwd.html.
(Incidentally, you may want to visit the whole site, it's not just
about my models, there are stories about the real cars etc).

Here is a recap, anyway:
- Don Vesco holds the fastest SCTA Bonneville record for a turbine streamliner
- Donald Campbell holds the FIA International record for turbine
vehicles (Mile and kilo)
- Al Teague holds the fastest SCTA Bonneville record for a piston
engined streamliner
- Al Teague holds the FIA International record for blown piston
engined vehicles (Mile and kilo) (same figure as SCTA record on the
mile)
- Bob Summers holds the FIA International record for unblown piston
engined vehicles (Mile and kilo)

- Nobody holds the "wheel-driven" record because no authority
sanctions it as such.
- Al Teague should be considered the holder of the so-called
"wheel-driven" record if you accept the FIA rules, because he holds
the fastest Intl. record for any wheel-driven vehicle.
- Bob Summers could still be considered the holder of the so-called
"wheel-driven" record if you accept the FIA rules but only if you
also think that the minimum 1% increment rule enforced by the FIA
should apply to a record that does not exist as such. (Summers' and
Teague's records both stand officially as Intl. records in two
different Groups and Teague's is faster, albeit just fractionally -
on the kilo though, it was MUCH faster)
- Don Vesco holds the so-called "wheel-driven" record if you only
accept the SCTA rules and do not care about the FIA, or if you do but
think the differences are not relevant and you just pick up the
fastest record, whoever sanctioned it.

Note: FIA rules are more restrictive than SCTA, so the FIA record is
generally more difficult to achieve than SCTA's (main stipulations
are that you have to do the return run within an hour and always in
the opposite direction over the same measured base). Since we are
talking about vehicles belonging in the "unlimited" classes of either
rule book, this is the only difference to be considered and we can
leave aside the recurrent complaints about classes etc).

Hope the above will help you have a clearer view of the situation. If
not... well, at least I tried!!

Ugo Fadini

--
Ugo Fadini