Re: Cylinder count

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder count
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:23:15 -0600
Howdy,
         4 BMW 1600 in shed, 2 cyl. Italian diesel, 1 B&S, 1 B&S,1 B&S, 8
348 chev, 8 348 chev, 6 slant 6, 1 B&S, 4 Dodge Colt race car, 4 Colt
backup, 4 Colt spare parts, 4 Colt spare parts, 1 weedwaker, 1 weedwaker, 2
air compressor, 1 air compressor, 1 air compressor, 1 B&S, 1 BSA 441, 1 BSA
441, 1 double acting steam engine, 1 B&S, 1B&S, 1 double acting steam
engine, 5 cylinder 10 piston variable stroke constant compression swash
plate engine.

QUESTION, how do I count these double acting steam engines, 1 or 2
cylinders? the piston is pushed from both sides, the argument can be made
that it is effectively a two cylinder engine......

QUESTION, how do I count the Swash plate engine 5 or 10 cylinders?

anyway, lets see, take off my shoes and socks and start
counting,,,,,,,66  cylinders, ( or 67 if counting steam 1, or steam 2 68 or
73 if swash plate, or swash plate engine & steam engine 78

I think, I'm now confused.....I think 78 or so....more or less huh?

madison wi where the weather is clear, 25 degrees and the 12 inch snow
surface is hard enough for my 60 lb dog to walk on....