Re: Screen Oil Filters

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Screen Oil Filters
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:33:20 EST
In a message dated 01/16/2001 7:06:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
richk@sparta-junction.com writes:

<< Can anyone in the group shed some light on screen oil filters? The one
 name I know of is Oberg. How well do they work compared to tradtional
 filters? I understand replacement screens are expensive.

 Thanks in advance
 Rich Kensicki

Rich,
    I use an Oberg screen oil filter on the King$ Ran$om Modified Roadster. I
don't know, however, if they are currently manufactured. They are an
excellent unit, available in 3 different mesh sizes. As far as I know, all
Obergs had a "bypass" function in the event that they became clogged. Some
had a little pop-out "tattle-tale'"indicator that alerted you if the filter
had clogged and was bypassing.
    I use the finest mesh screen on my Oberg and it always seems to have a
little debris in it no matter how well I clean the engine during assembly.
    Another alternative is the System One oil filter that looks kinda like a
modern "screw-on" throw away element. I use this system in my nostalgia
dragster. The difference is that it can be disassembled, inspected, cleaned,
and reused indefinitely of the "O" rings are changed occasionally.
    Inspecting oil filters and leakdown compression tests are a little ironic
in that you'd better be prepared for the answer before you seek the results.
                                                Ardun Doug King