Welding & Penatration

To: "Joe Timney" <joetimney@dol.net>
Subject: Welding & Penatration
From: "Tom Neimeyer" <3cbxs@ev1.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:52:32 -0600
Joe,
  I'm very curious on why you say this about argon.  I have welded and seen
welded miles and miles of pipe in numerous refinerys and it was, and still
is done with argon.  In the helirc (TIG) welding class I took it never
mentioned the lack of penetration caused by argon vs CO2?  Please elaborate
on how a shield gas can effect penetration.  I do understand how failure to
have shielding gas on the back side of the weld can cause the weld to
"sugar" which in turn can effect weld strength.

Now to get into a penatrating discussion....With TIG or MIG, to achieve good
penatration the pieces being joined should be spaced slightly apart.  This
"space" or "gap" allows the heat source to melt the inner edge of the pieces
being joined into the weld "puddle" creating 100% penatration.  Although it
is possible, on thinner metals, to melt the metal pieces together without a
gap or filler material being used.  If anybody has some time on a rainy day,
set up 2 sets of test "coupons" of 1/16 metal, using TIG. Set up one set
butted together and weld them and the other with a 1/32-3/64 gap and weld
them using filler rod as needed.  I think you might be suprised at the
outcome.

I have also had the opportunity to observe weld testing.  Mostly pipeline
welds where they do a root bent, face bend and nick break.  It is amazing to
see how much stress a weld can endure.

Disclaimer: I learned this all from Keith,
throw something out to the list and wait to get blasted....(:0

Regards, Tom