something a little different

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: something a little different
From: RAWAWA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:12:08 EST
As you might know from reading my auto-bio a while back,i'm a retired NY
(Bronx) Firefighter. I keep in touch alot as my son is now "on the job" in my
old house Eng 88 near the Bronx Zoo. I recently became aware that "the job"
is trying to phase out the pumper -converted- to -funeral-hearse in favor  of
the very old hand-drawn hose wagon-converted-to-hearse due to noise/diesel
fumes,etc;.   As the  FDNY has no replacement in stock,they are planning to
use an old (ugly) converted farm wagon and add some cosmetics. My question
is,does anybody have a connection out there that's a  FD restoration buff
with info on the possible whereabouts of a parade class finished/unfinished
vehicle,hand drawn,anywhere ? As the city will not kick in a dime,it will
have to be paid for out of volunteer contributions and finished by some
talented retirees. But,it will,when finished,be number 1  line of duty
ceremonial vehicle.........................Thank for your help and time.Bob
Wanner