Re: Marmon powered coupe ..... was later powered by Hemis

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Marmon powered coupe ..... was later powered by Hemis
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:39:44 EST
          Doug,  On our first visit to Speedweek in 1987, Darrell and I
watched
the ex - Howard Johansen  /  Marshall - Thayer - Banta chopped Crosley
comp coupe sit on the starting line and idle for an extremely long time ......
     I was wondering how long it could idle without overheating, and Darrell,
who was 15 at the time, asked me how he could keep running it so long,
and I told him it must have a real large tank of water inside to cool the
blown Chrysler .  When he finally cleaned it out, and then chugged off the
line, he only went a very short way ..... and, BANG !!!  THAT  WAS  IT !
      I  think this must be one of the oldest original cars still in  SCTA
competition ..... and, like Earl Wooden' s, they sure are wind cheaters !
           Bruce
where it is a non Palmdale-like 19 *