Fw: Two strokes

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Two strokes
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:32:58 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>

Date: Friday, January 05, 2001 12:17 PM
Subject: Two strokes

Dale; What I would like to know is where did the idea that two strokes are
measured or classified differently than Four strokes come from. Its bore and
stroke and thats it. A 300 inch 2 stroke is an E motor same as a 300 inch 4
stroke. Also, displacement is measured by comparing the volume of a container
(usually a cylinder but not always) that has at least one movable side, at
it's greatest volume and its least volume. The difference is the displacement.
My Nissan V6 has three of these containers on each side. Since they are all
the same we measure one and multiply by 6. A two rotor Wankel has 3 cavities
per rotor. If you take the difference between the volume of one cavity at its
greatest and its smallest, that will give you the displacement of that cavity.
If you multiply that times the number of cavities (X3 per rotor) you will have
the displacement of the engine. I have never heard and calculation that
included number of revolutions of the output (crank in an Otto cycle) shaft in
the calculations. Except from Dave.        I do not believe Wankels are
improperly classed.    Rich Fox