Fw: Maxton Ballast & Spinning Wheels

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Maxton Ballast & Spinning Wheels
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:49:24 -0600
Group
This thread has been very interesting and important.  Good handling cars
seem to have the right combination of front to rear weight distribution, the
right ratio of wheelbase to track width, slow enough steering to avoid
over-correcting, and sufficient weight on the driving wheels (either aero or
lead weight) to prevent wheel spin.  Rounded cars have aero unloading
problems under certain conditions, including the sideways condition.  Every
body style is different and is governed by a different set of physical and
SCTA rules. We have heard a variety of opinions of what is good and bad.

I wonder how many bad situations were actually initiated by wheelspin.  The
salt is wet and slippery.  The literature gives the coefficient of friction
at a number just above ice.  Most sprung rear ends will have the torque
reaction of pushing down on the left rear and sideways she goes if the
wheels are spinning.

This last August I could only nurse my XXF/BSTR to a best of 157 MPH because
of wheelspin.  Being sideways at that speed did not seem like fun.  We took
the blower off the ARDUN and with no other changes went a best of 155 with
no problems and a very comfortable, straight run.  I had only 150 pounds
ballast on an otherwise fairly light car (1865 pounds).  Many  racers with
roadsters and other bricks have told me they have 500 or 1000 pounds of
ballast.  Al Teague is rumored to carry 1100 pounds of lead on the bottom of
his car, even though it is far from a brick.

Every car is different, and ARDUN Doug is right.  Only carry as much ballast
as you need.  When the rear is fishing around your car could be telling you
it needs more ballast.

Dave the Hayseed

What