Electrical

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:38:30 -0500
In originally building my car I was too influenced by the OEM way of doing
things.  In some ways this was not good, but in safety I chose to use a
production inertia switch on the energizing side of a fuel pump solenoid.
If I go on my head, the inertia switch trips interrupting the ground and 12
v supply to the fuel pumps is shut off.  Since this is just the coil side of
the solenoid, high current is not experienced by this component.  It has
provided satisfactory operation of pumps but has not yet been asked to do
its job.
The point is, while thinking like an OEM engineer or Tech hampers our
thought process relative to going really fast, some devices and systems are
really nice to copy or use directly off the shelf.  With the disciplines
found at OEM's these days, the durability, quality and reliability pretty
much take care of themselves.

At any rate, if the Merkur goes upside down, the engine will not be running
when Chris and Ed show up.
My next project will be done the same way.

Rick Byrnes
We have enough youth...........How about a fountain of smart
www.rbmotorsports.com