Re: Good Electrical Advice

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good Electrical Advice
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:23:28 EST
In a message dated 01/01/2001 12:52:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
benettw@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 While will are on the subject of painting blocks. A though came to me
 of something else useful to paint. Those pesky electrical connections
 that like to get all nasty after seeing salt. A few simple tips may
 save you some trouble later on.

 1. Don't solder any electrical connection. Soldering causes a fatigue
 point. Use a crimp type connection, not the common type that you find
 in any auto parts store, but ones with a heat shrink type sleeve that
 seals the crimp.Yes Keith you can use your wife's blow dryer to shrink
 to sleeve. A pocket lighter is not recommend as it tends to get to hot
 and also if you forget and put it back in your pocket might burn some
 pretty serious places. If you have to use a common type crimp run to
 the closest Radio Shack and get some heat shrink tubing.

 2. Invest in a good quality crimper usually about 30-50 bucks not one
 of those 5 -10 dollars types. You want a ratchet type that crimps the
 metal ferrule as well as the plastic sleeve.

 3. Don't use those 1/4" wide quick connects. Use switches that make
 use of screw terminals and use a ring type crimp connections. Now it
 won't vibrate lose and leave you wondering how that happened.

 4. After all your wiring is done and check it out to be completely
 functional. Find a can of plasti-dip use to recoat tool handles, color
 doesn't matter. If you can't find any look through your wife's finger
 nail polish, color does matter. Get the ugliest color you hate to see
 her wear. Hope she doesn't see you or she may worry about your other
 hobbies. Paint every connection including the screws cover them
 completely. This will seal the connections and help prevent them from
 vibrating lose.

 5. Battery terminals: I wished they would outlaw those dog gone cheap
 emergency battery terminals as they are nothing but trouble. Moroso
 and a few other stock a nice compression type terminal that works like
 a tubing compression fitting. Otherwise use a crimp type. They make an
 inexpensive tool for crimping these that Keith can use his hammer
 with. Before adding the terminal make sure you have bright shiny
 copper if not use some fine emery cloth to polish the wire. Obtain
 some "NO-OX" from the local electrical supply house. It comes in a
 tube. Coat the wire good with it and make your connection, you can
 wipe off the excess. What now did you forget to put that piece of heat
 shrink tubing on it before you made the connection. Yeah helps seal
 this connection too. Use it everywhere.

 Keith that last one is meant for you get rid of those sorry terminals
 no since having a fast car with cheap terminals.

 Here is a link that carries just about everything I talk about and
 just about anything electrical you could need to wire a car.

 www.waytekwire.com
 Order their free catalog

 Bill

Group,
    Bills article is one of the best things to come across our list. Things
electrical and the Bonneville Salt Flats don't get along well at all. I've
always claimed that if I put an automotive electrical device in a sealed
container in the trunk of a push truck and drove out onto the LSR pits, the
device would have the hiccups and malfunction when you finished the trip.
There's
    Push cars, race cars, and spectator cars all seem to have electrical
problems after going to the salt. There's nothing more aggrivating than
chasing electrical gremlins at the races in addition to the usual mechanical
ills. Most of us do the wiring with no thought to troubleshooting it at the
races.
    I heartily recommend that you all print out Bills comments. They are
truly words of wisdom..........Ardun Doug King