new car

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: new car
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:25:31 -0500
    Off season news:

    Sold the Chevette last month. The new owner has plans for a big block
Cheby and sights on the A/GCC class. The 'A' records is actually lower than
the 'E' right now so not a bad place to play.

    So with the Chevette moved out Joe and I finally got the new comp coupe
out of moth balls last week (body was gutted and the top was chopped some
time ago) and on the chassis jig. It's a '72 Honda 600 sedan. Neat car even
if it is made out of rice paper...Joe loves welding on it. The basic car
will be very different than the Chevette with a wheelbase of 144". Going to
try some new aerodynamic ideas gleaned from the SAE paper on the Goldenrod
too.

    Built to take a variety of small and big blocks, and thinking we will
try and run a "B" motor for starters. We also have custom one-off 5-speed
transmission, first gear is a good push start. And of course a Winters QC
spins the drive wheels.

    Earl Wooden's Crosley is often refered to as the Coupeliner due to its
extended nose and narrow body line. After seeing the 600 on the jig we have
tentatively nick named ours the Hondaliner.

    Will keep you all posted as things progress.

    John Beckett, LSR Comp Coupe #79