" JUNKYARD WARS " MARATHON ON THE TUBE

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: " JUNKYARD WARS " MARATHON ON THE TUBE
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:45:48 EST
      Those Brits are at it again !  Right now the two teams are each
constructing
a vehicle that floats and lifts ..... the purpose of which is to lift one of
two Mini -
Coopers submerged a few feet under water, and get it up onto a pier at
water's
edge ...... and once again all parts and pieces come right out of the
scrapyard where the teams build them .   Different teams have already
competed at building
1000 # maximum pulling tractors, making flying machines ( actually gliders ),
cannons out of old piping, amphibious vehicles ( two very different
approaches ),
and then went on to wind powered land " yachts ".   The competition for high
mileage vehicles utilized little two strokers, aluminum ladders for frames,
and wheelchair wheels ....... and the winning entry got 178 mpg, while the
losers
managed to eke out a respectable 160 + mpg  !    This series should be
fascinating viewing for all gearheads, young or old ....... and demonstrates
the radically different approaches human beings can take to solving a common
problem and, hopefully, winning the contest, which always includes a time
limit for the construction phase .   NOT a lot of rounded corners, showcase
welding,
or fancy paint jobs here ....... just a lot of backyard engineering and
clever use
of the basic laws of physics, leverage, etc.   Some of our younger future
racers
might learn a trick or two by watching these programs .
           We' re all never too old to learn ....... and this weekend
marathon is,
after all, on  The Learning Channel !     I hope some of you might take some
time
to check it out ...... and enjoy it as much as I do !   Now back to those
sunken
Minis ........
       Bruce in 26* Connecticut, and yes it' s much warmer in front of the TV
than in my garage tonight !
 PS : ........ even some of you who enjoy knocking about our British cousins
           might get a kick out of these scrapyard challenges !!!