Re: Smelting Lead

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Smelting Lead
From: "John Linville" <bellytk@nh.ultranet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:52:45 -0400
I often think that I am as nutty as I am from my first job at age fourteen.
Saturday mornings I used to melt lead type and cast it into ingots for the
linotype machine on our hometown weekly newspaper.  If I remember the paper
sold for ten cents.  Anyway every Saturday morning I would go to a
windowless unventilated room and fire up the gas flame.  The lead type was
thrown in the melting pot and then you added a flux to remove the ink and
impurites as the lead melted.  A great green cloud would emerge from the pot
when you did that and of course, pre-OSHA, you just breathed it in.  Then
when the lead was clean and melted, you poured it into molds that made long
rectangles with a eye on the top so it could be hung from the chain on the
linotype machine and lowered into that melting chamber as needed while the
guy typed.  All this for a magnificent sum of 25 cents an hour which I was
saving to buy parts from Almquist Engineering in Pennysylvania for the '50
Chevy I was working on in our backyard.  Interesting memories triggered by
this subject!  The lead in my system probably compliments the asbestos in
the lungs compliments of Uncle Sam's submarine service so I thank the Good
Lord I have lasted this long.

regards, John