Re: TLC disappointed

To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>,
Subject: Re: TLC disappointed
From: "lanspeed" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:18:13 -0800
It was surprising to me as well that Rick was not profiled a bit more in the
show -- the director was most assuredly aware of the his roles in the
fabrication of the Turbinator and Save the Salt. However, in most shows the
crew, and even the owners are ignored in favor of the driver. Its not right,
but that how these shows shake out most of the time. Look at the piece with
Pat Rummerfield -- Mr. Dempsey is never even mentioned once, or Breedlove
who rarely acknowledges any of the people who help him.

I cannot speak for Rick, but I believe he would be grateful for not only the
coverage of the family's racing pursuits, but that the show mentioned the
salt erosion problem at all.

The destruction of the salt should never be allowed to fade away from the
minds of the BLM, State of Utah and most importantly in the public
consciousness.  The more who are aware of its fragile status, the more that
might align their voice in support of its preservation -- racer, or not --
because before it was a race course it was, and shall remain, a most
magnificent geological wonder worthy of respect from every American. For
those of us who forget, it is up to us to remind them -- constantly.

Putting that thinking into action, throughout the Bonneville Book you will
find numerous references to the salt erosion problem and its current
solution procedures (thank you Rick). Working with Save the Salt's attorney,
SCTA and USFRA folks, helped me put the plight into gentle, but forceful
written perspective that might assist in the fight to restore the salt.

In this way, as well as with the broad reaching ability of television, the
land speed racer may be able to engender allies among the non-racing, but
sympathethic racing spectators.

How bad would that be?

LandSpeed