Re: Fwd: V4GR Roadster Considering V1 Rocket Power ?

To: V4GR@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: V4GR Roadster Considering V1 Rocket Power ?
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:15:49
Us Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo Aero Engineers also had a pulse jet from WWI.
But we made ours run! It took lots of air to start it on the ground but
sure was neat! I remember at one open house (Poly Royal) my dad came up to
see me and we were in the hangar when it was fired up just on the other
side of the hangar wall. Pops just about dropped a load! Very loud!! And
the valving wored as described. air forces the reeds open, combustion
closed them.

mayf
At 08:57 PM 2/23/00 EST, V4GR@aol.com wrote:

>Bruce; When I was going to A&P school we had a pulse jet (how long ago was
>that?) that we tried to get fired up. The doors are basically reed valves.
>they are pushed open by ram air from the front and closed by combustion
>pressure. It needs a rocket or something to get it going fast enough to
start
>working. We tried to start it using shop air, but not enough volume.  I was
>thinking of using an air cycle machine for a blower, but no Ram Jets on the
>roadster.  Rich Fox

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)