Ardun Doug on Bill Mackey

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ardun Doug on Bill Mackey
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:16:49 -0600
got Doug's Permission to Post this note.... thought it was kinda nice to
see the comments on Bill Mackey....

Keith,
    Things are pretty quiet here on the "Left-Coast". Glad to see that Bill

Mackey is doing the ECTA newsletter. I met him in 1989 at Bonneville. I'd
blown the Ardun with the 5/8" C&T welded stroker, taking the flex-plate,
torque converter, and tranny with it when the crank broke. We had a spare
tranny, but had to use the parts to rebuild the one that got wounded.
Nobody
on the crew was a tranny-person, so up pops Bill out of nowhere and rebuilt

the thing. We had to make two trips to SLC by the time we got the
flex-plate
fixed and a new converter built.
    I've decided to sleeve the block I ran at BVL this year, plus build a
second complete engine with the 1/2" stroker (SCAT billet moly) that I ran
in
the dragster prior to switching to the 4:71 blown motor. I think that Muroc

and El Mirage are not much more than long distance drag races anyway, so
I'll
build a dragster engine and tone-down the nitro a little. I have enough
heads
to keep 3 competition engines going at once, plus the street motor in my 27

T.............Doug King

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)