RE: Electronics vs. old way

To: "'dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com'" <dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com>,
Subject: RE: Electronics vs. old way
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:14:24 -0800
As always, I side with my brother on this one. I get mixed sentiments from
many members of the list. One moment a person will state that we're all here
to have fun, the next moment it's that it's unfair that a competitor is
pushing the limits within his class and it's unfair. Whether it's
electronics, spoiler design, turbos, or screw blowers, technology will
constantly evolve the sport. Drag Racing, has evolved into a very
competitive professional sport that was once at the same junction land speed
racing at is now. As more and more people got fed up with the rules, they
went elsewhere, and Nostalgia Racing is a perfect example of that. Land
Speed Racing is unique in that unlike Drag Racing, the amount of passes you
make is not dependent on your car's ability to perform. Every competitor has
an equal opportunity to make as many runs as they'd like. It doesn't matter
if your Jerry Kugel, Al Teague, Chauvin Emmons or Keith Turk. Everyone gets
a fair shot ! If you're racing for glory or to have your name in a book,
it's gonna cost money. I may never get the BBFALT record, it might get
bumped up by another competitor, If I'm going fast, I'll have fun. I might
not have the worlds fastest class B Blown Fuel Altered over something as
small as the interpretation of a rule, even if I should break Mike Cook's
record. Maybe I'll have the world's fastest 68 Firebird. I don't know, but I
am disappointed  to see many people in here arguing as to why it's ok for
their car to go after records in classes that they really don't belong in.
My thought is that you cannot impede progress, and if you look historically
to those who have made an impression on the sport, it's the guys with money.
Mickey Thompson and the Summers Brothers set their records with 4 engines,
but I have never heard Al Teague complain that it's unfair to him since he
chose to run only 1.
        I was in a training seminar 2 weeks ago, and the facilitator asked
us to introduce ourselves, tell everyone what our experience was, and then
asked if we were to win the Nobel Peace Prize, what would we want it to be
for ? Everyone introduced themselves, one by one, explaining that they'd
like to receive the prize for their revolutions to the communications
industry, or IC design. My reply was that, I really wouldn't it, because for
me, if my motivation was to win the prize, then I didn't win it for the
right reasons. Everyone just looked at me with a perplexed look on their
face.
        I race because it's in my blood -it's in my father's and my
brother's, and hopefully someday if I should have a son, it will be in his
blood as well. My point is that I have tried hard to build a car to fall
within the rules of the class where I belong. Because it is a bit
unconventional, my brother and I have already drawn some fire for it.
If I am allowed to run within the Altered Class, and be fortunate enough to
reset the record, I would be ecstatic. I'll run for time only if I have to
and I'm sure I will love every second of it. I feel if you're racing at
Bonneville for a little metal plaque and a red hat, maybe you need to
reassess your goals because for me, those are merely a pat on the back for a
job well done!

        Darrell Ferguson
        BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
        El Sobrante, California
        # 939 BBFALT
cookie cutter 68 Firebird (looks best in rear view mirrors)
        http://my.cybersoup.com/blackradon
<http://my.cybersoup.com/blackradon>