Re: Pierson Coupe

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pierson Coupe
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:10:49 EST
In a message dated 11/25/1999 5:34:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ardunbill@webtv.net writes:

<<
 Tom,  Great Story!!  Thanks for sharing it.

 226 mph is tremendous speed for what appears to have been mostly '34
 Ford chassis and suspension.  Could you tell us exactly what suspension,
 steering, chassis mods, ballasting and cooling system you had in it at
 the end?

 No question the '34 three-window was one of the all time prettiest
 Fords.  People today are lucky that several companies make good-quality
 repro bodies and frames for fairly reasonable prices.  It wouldn't be
 too hard to come up with a beautiful racecar out of this, with filled
 original '34 grillshell.  The body company can probably chop the top any
 amount you want for a little extra.  Regards, ArdunBill from Chesapeake,
 VA.  Anybody see the Nicholas Cage film Red Rock West?  Hope we don't
 get "Lyle from Dallas" in our chat group.

Bill & Group,
    The only problem with the repro 34 3-window body's that are available
today is that they're all chopped (at least when I did mine a few years ago
they were).
    When I was in high school in the early 50's I had a 33 3-window "B"Gas
coupe with a bored and stroked Flatty for power. Ended up selling it for $50
when I put the engine in my first dragster.
    I always thought that the 33-34 Ford 3-windows were the prettiest cars
ever made. In my adult life I started looking for a candidate to replicate my
old coupe, but very little steel was available and all the "repops" were
chopped. About 5 years ago I found a steel 34 3-window body with all the
internals.
    Originally I wanted it exactly like my old coupe, Flatty and
"buggy-spring" suspension included. By the time I started on the project I
was in my latter 50's and creature comfort was paramount so I settled on a
410 Nailhead Buick, Turbo 400 trannd, Mustang II front and rear suspension,
aftermarked new frame, etc. but kept the solid wheels and cloth insert top.
It's a blast to drive. My motto: "It's never too late to have a happy
childhood".
                                    Ardun Doug in CA