Cooling

To: JAMES CANNON <dr.piston@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Cooling
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:04:08 -0800
Hi James and everyone else!!!
James: By applying a ceramic thermal dispersant  to the outside of your barrel,
coating
your pistons, and your combustion chambers, it will eliminate much of the
heating problem.

I follow, with interest, your daily conversations regarding  salt racing and
related
problems in maintaining and building your cars.  It is astounding the amount of
information one can accumulate through  the web.
I would like to express a completely different approach to solving all your
heating
problems-whether it be cycle or auto related.
Where does engine heat come from?  Friction and horsepower in combustion
chambers, valves
and pistons.  If you coat these parts with "ceramic thermal barrier coatings"
that are
designed for the  specific purpose of cooling  or  tranfering heat, you are
going to keep
greater amounts of heat in your combustion chambers-which keeps it  from
radiating into
heads,valve stems, pistons connecting rods-hence the rest of the motor.
On our Jimmy that we run, all of these parts are coated.  The block is filled
within 2" of
the top with "block rock".  We carry 5 gallons of water  +  the water in the
head and the
top 2" of the block.
We leave the line with the motor @ 160 degrees after warm up in the pits. At
the end of
the run, our water temp (at 110 degrees weather) is between 190 degrees and 200
degrees.
If you would, please let me know how many of you racers use coatings on pistons
and engine
parts.   If not- why not?   Per dollar  it is  the cheapest way to increase
horse power,
eliminate part fatigue, and keep parts running cooler.
There are plenty of companies applying ceramic coatings other  our company. We,
of coarse,
feel we do the best job....but, anyway, its a different avenue to take to solve
a problem.

I don't put in  my 25cents worth very often, but do enjoy the way you guys toss
around
ideas.
Thanks,
Russ Meeks--Finishline Coatings