Traction question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Traction question
From: "Paul W" <pdubyou@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:16:06 PST
I've been lurking for a few and learning a ton.

Between the tire and spoiler discussion of recent times I have a question
related to traction. Having never been to the any of the lake beds (but
planning to in the next year or two) I am trying to get a handle on what to
expect. What does the surface compare to?  Regular dirt road, regular dirt,
gravel, something else?  Is there a rule-of-thumb for deciding if a vehicle
should go 'X' fast on pavement, it will go 'X-Y' fast on the salt (or
something like that)?

TIA

Paul Woodman