Re: Fw: spoilers

To: <dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com>, <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Fw: spoilers
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:04:03 -0800
Doug
     It has been my experience as a SCTA/BNI competitor from 1962 to
the resent is that if the rules don't say you can you probably can't. Here
are a couple of things in the rule book which may to your Altered.

IV-26; any streamlining devices will be considered as part of the body for
classification purposes. Spoilers and wings are both listed as streamlining
devices.
Fuel Altered Coupe/Gas Altered Coupe;  No streamlining allowed. Then a
list of what IS allowed.
     In addition looking at the description of a spoiler it seems that if
the air hits
the device on the top only it is a spoiler. If your device allows the air to
flow
underneath it is a wing no matter what Toyota and Porsche call em.
     As an added note in the class I run in (modified roadster) we are not
allowed
to have flat paneling between the bottom of the frame and the push bar as
it was interpreted as streamlining (as usual someone got carried away).
    The rules committee has a really tough job balancing the run what ya
brung
mentality of most racers and the No Hot Rods Allowed position of that
association where the only difference in the cars in the top calsses are the
paint jobs. Most of the seemingly nit picky interpretations are because
someone already has been there and gone over the top.
Jim in Palmdale who has been there.

----421 N. Palmer, Glendale, California----
----where real Indy cars were made-----