RE: Flatheads Etc.

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Flatheads Etc.
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:30:37 -0800
Keith -

        No offense taken. The reason for my car not being at Utah this year
was because I've taken 2 years to put my car together. Doug and I are the
only 2 people who have really worked on it. I've had friends help strip the
chassis, and prime the body, but I personally have tightened every single
bolt on the car with the exception of the bolts on the ring gear. Every part
I fabricate, fit, or install in my mind is perfect, if it is not, it doesn't
go into the car. As a result, many others are racing with- what I consider
questionable parts, or using questionable techniques to achieve their
desired results. I guess in a way, they've figured out what I haven't yet.
No, I don't have a timing slip from Bonneville to put my money where my
mouth is. Why? Because I take safety very seriously in my car, and will not
except anything less than perfection. Not withstanding the Stainless Steel
button head fasteners in non critical locations, every bolt is grade 8 or
higher throughout the car. As a result, my car wasn't quite ready for
Bonneville, and my brother's unplanned departure to CT was the straw that
broke the camel's back. I know that my brother and I are often criticized
for some of our commentaries, especially since we have not "proven
ourselves" at Bonneville. Be that as it may, our suggestions are intended to
help others, and are based in both experience and "scientific analysis". I
like flatheads also, particularly Arduns, although many in here would never
believe that. I feel they belong in a 29 roadster with a deuce shell, not in
a car trying to go as fast as it can, and yes I do understand that someone
is trying to prove a point with a specific engine. For me, Bonneville is
about ultimate speed, and as I've stated many times before, our next ride
will have a 600+ cubic inch motor. I'm not out to prove a point to anyone,
but to go as fast as possible for myself, and if I had more money and
experience, I'd be running a jet engine. Am I sometimes baffled by the
choices that others make for their vehicles- yes! Can I understand why guys
like my father are diehard flathead ford men- yes! Can I understand why
someone would drop $10,000 into a 4 cyl Pinto motor? No- but if that's what
excites you about racing, knock yourself out! I know that my firebird is not
a car accepted by many in here. Do I think it's cookie cutter- No. But
everyone has their own opinion, again, that was a major reason behind our
decision to run Bonneville. I feel at times, because of our ages, that many
veterans feel our experiences could not possibly have taught my brother and
I as many lessons as others have experienced in here. I do not disagree, but
does that mean I don't know about Nitromethane injected engines? Does that
mean I've never worked on a Top Alcohol Dragster? Does that mean I haven't
learned the value of quality parts, and attention to detail, particularly at
the speeds that many people on this forum, and hopefully soon myself, run
at? Yes Keith, you are correct, I do not have a piece of paper from the
SCTA, and I do not take offense to your comments, nor those of others. For
me, it's my life on the line, and I will not compromise safety to make a
deadline. I'm willing to take criticism from others now because when I do
run Bonneville, or El Mirage, I know everything will be ON ! I won't have
any doubts about whether the guy who built the motor did it right, I know it
is right, I built it, and if it lets go, I have no-one to blame but myself.
Front to back, top to bottom throughout the entire  car, motor, tranny,
brakes, fuel system, I am responsible for everything on the car. You can ask
my brother how much stuff we've bought, fabricated, or designed for the car,
only to supercede it later with a better design, or a stronger part. For
many, a grade 5 fastener would be more than adequate for a particular
application, and I would have to agree. But if a grade 8 is stronger, is it
worth the extra 50 cents, especially when your life may depend on it? But I
haven't raced at Bonneville yet, and almost every other guy on this forum
is. Take my opinions for what you may. If you feel my perspective at age 27
is out of whack, then ignore my advice, I know I've ignored some advice from
others on what they feel is the best for my car. That's the whole idea
behind this forum, to share the wealth, and do with it as you may. I can't
recommend the best flywheel to run behind a V-8 60, nor would I ! That's not
my forte, and wouldn't want to send someone down the wrong path. I may
playfully jest others at times, and they do us, and am surprised when
Mysteries" comment my brother sent out with a playful intent as a response
to a question. Yes, I know alot about Thermodynamics from a scientific
perspective, as does my brother, and I've been fortunate enough to have been
involved with a couple of heavy hitter cars. Am I a fuel expert? No. Do I
claim to be? No. I'm just trying to share the knowledge I've acquired with
others, but again, I don't have an SCTA timeslip to validate my comments.

                Darrell Ferguson     BRE