Re: Methanol Solves Mysteries

To: Jim Dincau <jdincau@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: Methanol Solves Mysteries
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 07:24:44 -0800
I posed this question because for years I had assumed that lean mixtures
burned hotter. Then I went to a seminar put on by a fuel guru here on
the West Coast who was explaining many facets of fuel production, octane
measurement, and properties of different blends, etc. He opened my eyes
to a "totally new concept", as Gallager would say.

Lean mixtures actually burn with less temperature, but because a lean
mixture also burns slower, the heat is held to the piston for a longer
period of time, hence "Melt Down."

I have found that much of the detonation and melted pistons that I have
experienced can be traced to less than adequate cooling system. That was
certainly the case Speedweek. If I had been in the driver's seat it
probably wouldn't have happened. We run a "Dial-a-Jet" which allows
adjustment while under way. I monitor the engine temp, if I'm not to
busy with directional control, and adjust jetting as needed. Jeff is
still learning!

Tom