Re: 16 Volt? or ALTERNATOR

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 16 Volt? or ALTERNATOR
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 19:41:12 -0400
At 02:14 PM 9/8/1999 -0700, Dick J wrote:
>My brother runs a trick setup on his race car (of
>another type).  He runs a one-wire alternator,
>and he has installed a main disconnect switch on
>the alternator wire.

  Exactly right Dick, and for those not really up on alternator theory, this
can be done with most alternators by simply creating an open in the field
wire.  No field current = no magnetic field in the rotor = no output from
the alternator and no drag.  A momentary cutout switch on the accelerator
linkage would take all the work out of it as well, but I know we all love to
flip switches. ;)

Chuck Rothfuss
Hurricane survivor
Coastal NC