Re: 130 & 150 Club

To: Ronald_B_Anderson@notes.seagate.com
Subject: Re: 130 & 150 Club
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:31:22 -0400
Ronald_B_Anderson@notes.seagate.com wrote:

> Ed-
>
> Thanks for the support. I received the 1999 SCTA / BNI rule book lat week,
> and am reading it. I'd be GT class. 130 club sounds too easy, I've already
> done 150 on highway in Nevada. So 150 club also sounds easy.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I showed up at WOS in 1993 in my hot
rod '85 Vette that I had hit 180 with on the highway. I flogged that car
for 2 days on the salt and only managed to hit 144 with it. By running
the 130 or 150 Club, you WILL learn the problems of going fast on the
salt. I had plenty of USFRA members willing to offer help and believe
me, I needed it. A few years back, I wrote an article for my Club
newsletter about this ordeal, you can read it at
http://vette.org/DCA/Members/EdLindaVanScoy/  if you wish. I looked in
last year's WOS program (luv that Vette on the cover!) and they list 8
members in the 150 Club. If it was easy, there would be more......

But is there a  progression required, first 130, then 150, before the
200 club will let you  try? Could not determine that from the book.
Perhaps somebody in the 200
> club could answer.

You have to go thru a licensing procedure, starting at 125 mph. See page
11 of your rule book.

The Bonneville (and El Mirage, Muroc & Maxton) 200 mph Clubs are private
organizations. See page 145 of rule book for qualifications.

> My Corvette C5 is my civilized touring car. I'm not altering it beyond
> what's necessary to reach 200. I can do 180 now (replaced air induction and
> have Corsa cat-back exhaust), but in my old age I don't feel comfortable on
> public roads in the 150 and higher domian, that's why the interest in the
> salt. I've got to find who can do a "sophisiticated" roll bar (fit and
> finish world class) as I want to be able to continue putting 2 full size
> suitcases back there, and tour the USA with the wife.

This may be more difficult than you think........ See rules for safety
equipment.

> I would love to meet Lingenfelter. I think I can get to 200 with only mild
> supercharge boost, 6 PSI, and still have a touring car that will last
> 200,000 miles. Nitrous is out, I don't want all the overhead, and harship
> to the LS1. The point about the new technology configuration is well taken.

Good luck Ron,
Ed