Re: spoilers & weight

To: Gene Halvorson <ghalvors@pressenter.com>
Subject: Re: spoilers & weight
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:24:16 -0400
Oh noooooooooooo! Not another plastic car on the salt! Seriously,
welcome! You are correct in your concern about CG with the Vette. When I
was building my '85 Vette, the "old timers" warned me about the
aerodynamic center of pressure issue to avoid the "arrow flying
backwards" problem. If you have the stock IRS in the rear, you have
another problem as when lift occurs, the camber changes; if it goes
positive, a spin results. (you have noticed this when you jacked up the
rear end) I have been fighting this problem for years, and have gotten
around it by dialing in more negative camber. a 10-bolt chevy rear-end
would solve it once & for all...... If you have any solutions, I am all
ears.
As for tires, I am using Goodyear "NASCAR Superspeedway" slicks on the
rear and Goodyear Frontrunners up front. Both readily available and good
up to 250 mph (so I'm told!) I have been using this combination for 6
years with no problem except the rears show heat on the outside edges
but still have many runs left on them.
Hope this helps........
Ed