healeys

Re: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step 2!

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive pressure or clutch slip Step 2!
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:50:16 -0400
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000db5e350617060db0

Well ...  here's where I believe we are so far.
Presuming that Simon completed the "full torque" test, with the overdrive
hydraulic system totally disabled correctly, we have confirmed that neither
the flywheel clutch nor the overdrive cone clutch slip to produce the
slippage issue that he is chasing.
If the weather improves and Simon can do another road test now that he has
reinstalled the overdrive operating valve *and * the slippage returns we
can be fairly confident that the slippage issue is related to the overdrive
hydraulic system.
Simon has reported that the pump produces over 500 p.s.i. which in my
experience is quite adequate for the overdrive to operate without slippage.=
.
My bet is that either the operating pistons are not receiving that 500
p.s.i. when the valve is opened by the solenoid or something, perhaps an
incorrectly installed spring or 2 or badly leaking piston seals is
preventing the clutch from travelling to the "engaged" position.

On Fri., Apr. 26, 2024, 4:05 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote=
:

> I lost the plot (not unusual): Have we determined, for sure, that the
> problem is 'slippage,' which would most likely be due to wear in the O/D
> cone clutch? Or have we determined that Simon's O/D is 'dropping out'
> which, to my thinking, would be caused by the 8 strong springs overcoming
> hydraulic pressure (and causing the brake ring to slip or disengage, no?)=
.

> On 4/26/2024 10:03 AM, Hank Leach wrote:
>
> Ok the pressure gauge implies that the hydraulic system is in good
> condition and that will effectively produce overdrive when the cone clutc=
> is pushed forward in the box. When OD is *not required* the solenoid is
> inactive and the 8 springs in the unit have to keep the cone clutch in th=
> rearward or in direct drive position.
> These are stout springs and normally are strong enough to engage and hold
> the clutch without slipping, overcoming the hydraulic influence-which
> should be draining at this point..However if the springs are misinstalled
> in the wrong position or not properly mounted on their tabs upon assembly
> or previously "coil bound" from that procedure or wear, they will not
> function to keep direct drive solid without slipping.
> The clutch material should outlive all of us and is not normally, or
> easily, replaced. All you have to keep the car in direct drive are those =
8
> springs and their pressure.
> -Hate to say it but if the re-assembly was defective, the gearbox needs t=
> come out and OD removed and checked for correct spring fit-at that time I
> would replace the 8 springs (about $100 from Moss) as a routine repair.
> (photos from my article in AH Mag) Hank

D to
>> disengage faster=E2=80=9D. Don=E2=80=99t recall if I tried it. Could tha=
t rod be any help
>> here?
>>

>> The ball seems to be sitting square on its seat and the tip of the rod,
>> where the ball sits, is not worn or chipped.
>>
>> Residual pressure=E2=80=A6.. goes to 500+ when I switch OD ON and stays =
there
>> until, engine and switch OFF, I energize the solenoid a few times whereu=
pon
>> it drops to zero.
>>

>> Another test drive(s) seems called for. But the hood is off to enable
>> access and the forecast is grim for the next week.
>>

>> Very open to more suggestions. Thanks,
>>
>> Simon

div dir=3D"auto">Presuming that Simon completed the &quot;full torque&quot;=
 test, with the overdrive hydraulic system totally disabled correctly, we h=
ave confirmed that neither the flywheel clutch nor the overdrive cone clutc=
h slip to produce the slippage issue that he is chasing.</div><div dir=3D"a=
uto">If the weather improves and Simon can do another road test now that he=
 has reinstalled the overdrive operating valve <u style=3D"font-weight:bold=
">and=C2=A0</u>=C2=A0the slippage returns we can be fairly confident that t=
he slippage issue is related to the overdrive hydraulic system.=C2=A0</div>=
 which in my experience is quite adequate for the overdrive to operate with=
out slippage..</div><div dir=3D"auto">My bet is that either the operating p=
istons are not receiving that 500 p.s.i. when the valve is opened by the so=
lenoid or something, perhaps an incorrectly installed spring or 2 or badly =
leaking piston seals is preventing the clutch from travelling to the &quot;=
_attr">On Fri., Apr. 26, 2024, 4:05 p.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:bspidell@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">bspidell@comcas=
rgin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
    I lost the plot (not unusual): Have we determined, for sure, that
    the problem is &#39;slippage,&#39; which would most likely be due to we=
ar in
    the O/D cone clutch? Or have we determined that Simon&#39;s O/D is
    &#39;dropping out&#39; which, to my thinking, would be caused by the 8
    strong springs overcoming hydraulic pressure (and causing the brake
    ring to slip or disengage, no?). <br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        good condition and that will effectively produce overdrive when
        the cone clutch is pushed forward in the box. When OD is <strong>no=
          required</strong> the solenoid is inactive and the 8 springs
        in the unit have to keep the cone clutch in the rearward or in
        direct drive position.</div>
        engage and hold the clutch without slipping, overcoming the
        hydraulic influence-which should be draining at this
        point..However if the springs are misinstalled in the wrong
        position or not properly mounted on their tabs upon assembly or
        previously &quot;coil bound&quot; from that procedure or wear, they=
 will
        not function to keep direct drive solid without slipping.</div>
        normally, or easily, replaced. All you have to keep the car in
        direct drive are those 8 springs and their pressure.<br>
        -Hate to say it but if the re-assembly was defective, the
        gearbox needs to come out and OD removed and checked for correct
        spring fit-at that time I would replace the 8 springs (about
        $100 from Moss) as a routine repair. (photos from my article in
        AH Mag) Hank<br>
        From: &quot;Bob Spidell&quot; <a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.ne=
t" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">&lt;bspidell@comcast.net=
&gt;</a> <br>