healeys

[Healeys] Steering box Belleville springs

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Steering box Belleville springs
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 15:14:36 -0500

--000000000000277cf4060b27f4cc

Over the years I have rebuilt numerous Healey steering boxes. Other than
the very early versions all these boxes have 6 Belleville washers (springs)
on the rocker shaft which bear onto the case and provide upward pressure on
the shaft which is intended, I believe, to prevent rattles from the box.
I have always installed these as 3 pairs with their open ends facing each
other which has always worked satisfactorily for me however, I recently
disassembled what I believe to be a BJ8 steering box which had never
previously been disassembled and found all the washers (springs) nested
together with the "open" end upward.
I have searched through all my available literature and can find no
information as to how these should be installed.
Does anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have supporting
documentation?

Michael S

--000000000000277cf4060b27f4cc

ns-serif;font-size:small">Over the years I have rebuilt numerous Healey ste=
ering boxes. Other than the very early versions all these boxes have 6 Bell=
eville washers (springs) on the rocker shaft which bear onto the case and p=
rovide upward pressure on the shaft which is intended, I believe, to preven=
t rattles from the box.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-fam=
ily:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">I have always installed these as 3 pa=
irs with their open ends facing each other which has always worked satisfac=
torily for me however, I recently disassembled what I believe to be a BJ8 s=
teering box which had never previously been disassembled and found all the =
washers (springs) nested together with the &quot;open&quot; end upward. <br=
ont-size:small">I have searched through all my available literature and can=
 find no information as to how these should be installed.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">D=
oes anyone know how these are meant to be and perhaps have supporting docum=
entation?</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans=
-serif;font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fon=

--000000000000277cf4060b27f4cc--

--===============0457833346018001803==