healeys

Re: [Healeys] Glycol in oil (David Lodge)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Glycol in oil (David Lodge)
From: Wayne Schultz via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 21:13:01 -0500

--0000000000007eb2df060a63cb6c

My path to locate the leak is to pressurize the cooling system to about
        14 PSI (1 BAR) and see if it leaks down. I use a cooling system
pressure tester for this. I then use a small endoscope inspection camera to
inspect all of the bores with the plugs removed looking for coolant leaking
into the cylinders. You might not see coolant  in the cylinder ,but if one
piston is very clean compared to others that is suspect. If that is
inconclusive I then drop the oil pan looking for coolant drips into the oil
pan area. The last hard to find leak was behind the middle tappet cover.
The raised boss in the block  was porius and only leaked into the oil pan
area when the engine was cold.  When the engine was hot and expanded there
was no leak. The next day when cold it would drip several  drips per hour.
Both of these inspections are less invasive than pulling the head, which is
my final inspection looking for the source. good luck.

--0000000000007eb2df060a63cb6c

stem to about=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 14 PSI (1 BAR) and s=
ee if it leaks down. I use a cooling system pressure tester for this. I the=
n use a small endoscope inspection camera to inspect all of the bores with =
the plugs removed looking for coolant leaking into the cylinders. You might=
 not see coolant=C2=A0 in the cylinder ,but if one piston is very clean com=
pared to others that is suspect. If that is inconclusive I then drop the oi=
l pan looking for coolant drips into the oil pan area. The last hard to fin=
d leak was behind the middle tappet cover. The raised boss in the block=C2=
=A0 was porius and only leaked into the oil pan area when the engine was co=
ld.=C2=A0 When the engine was hot and expanded there was no leak. The next =
day when cold it would drip several=C2=A0 drips per hour. Both of these ins=
pections are less invasive than pulling the head, which is my final inspect=
ion looking for the source. good luck.</div>

--0000000000007eb2df060a63cb6c--

--===============6855244334349039238==