healeys

[Healeys] Lifter options...again

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Lifter options...again
From: Stephen Hutchings via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:02:47 -0400
Iâ??ve been following the thread about the tappet/cam interface with interest.
While working on my restoration I had my cam ground by an outfit in the Toronto
area that Mike Salter recommended, and they suggested I send my original
lifters to their supplier for re-hardening.
I donâ??t want to make this story too long, but, after 7,000 miles back on the
road I didnâ??t experience the dramatic changes in valve clearance adjustment,
or excessive noise, I just thought it would be a good idea to inspect the
lifters after a period.
I should add that I had followed the wear-in instructions very carefully upon
the initial startup , and only used oil with ZDDP (Brad Penn and Driven).

Anyway, the lifters were looking good until I got to number 7, which was
starting to show pitting. Now, my theory is that this particular item wasnâ??t
hardened properly because of the difference from the others.
My inclination is to replace the lifters and go through the wear-in procedure
again. I KNOW, you should mate new cam to new lifters, but I thought Iâ??d give
this a go and keep and eye on it, rather than strip the engine, because I
didnâ??t have the dramatic symptoms that Michael described. I believe I
discovered it very early in the game. By now I donâ??t trust any of the lifters.

Of course now my question for the list is which lifters? I remember Michael
talking about sintered tappets being expensive but a big improvementâ?¦
Any advice?

Thanks,
Stephen, BJ8