healeys

Re: [Healeys] Denis Welch Tappets Again

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Denis Welch Tappets Again
From: Michael Oritt via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 10:44:36 -0400
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000a243bc05fc718bc4

At the risk of awakening Godzilla from his dormancy I'll go ahead and say
the accursed letters:  *ZDDP*!

Best--Michael Oritt

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 10:34=E2=80=AFAM Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmai=
l.com>
wrote:

> Speaking as someone who has over the years had 2 bouts of tappet failure
> in 100 engines I would suggest that you are wise to be cautious.
> I can't advise on the tappets that you have fitted but can say the I am
> now using sets from A H Spares which are proving to be very satisfactory
> and are different from those I have had problems with.
> I have, in B.#174, a magnetic oil drain plug and have found that to be a
> very good indicator of impending tappet failure. On the last 2 oil change=
> there was absolutely no metal on the plug.
> My procedure initial start procedure was to firstly remove the inner valv=
> springs as I have found that they and the additional pressure that they
> produce are just not required as my engine exhibits absolutely no sign of
> valve bounce right up to the red line.
> I use Lucas 20/50 break in oil for the 1st 500 miles.
> On first start I held the engine around 1500 RPM for about 20 minutes. (I
> have difficulty believing that this is necessary but that's what the
> experts recommend so you have to be sure that the cooling system is in go=
od
> shape).
> I change to VR1 non synthetic 20/50 after 500 odd miles and then change
> the oil every 3000 miles.
> The engine in B#174 now runs with absolutely NO tappet clatter which is
> pretty unusual for a 100.
> I recently checked the valve clearances and they were unchanged after 250=
0
> miles, another good indicator that the cam and tappets are holding up wel=
l.
> I'm sure others have had different experiences but I  would recommend tha=
> you make every effort to avoid a cam/tappet failure because rectification
> requires a complete engine strip down.
> Good luck.

>  (Still running perfectly with outer springs only)
>
> On Wed., May 24, 2023, 8:46 a.m. Michael MacLean, <
> springer.mike51@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I get closer to starting my 100 engine I have yet to replace the
>> modified Denis Welch tappets like a list member suggested I do.  I got
>> nervous, so I ordered a set of NOS tappets from Ahead4Healeys to swap wi=
th
>> the installed Welch tappets recently.  Now, searching the archives, I  f=
ind
>> someone had problems with NOS lifters after 6000 miles. Ruined a cam and
>> the lifters.  So, what am I supposed to do now?  Should I just buy
>> aftermarket tappets?  Are the aftermarket tappets hardened correctly?  W=
hy
>> wouldn't the NOS tappets be hardened right?  I don't want to replace the
>> cam after I get this thing running.
>> Mike MacLean
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com

--000000000000a243bc05fc718bc4

e risk of awakening Godzilla from his dormancy I&#39;ll go ahead and say th=
il_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 10=
:34=E2=80=AFAM Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,20=
4,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">Speaking as someone who has over=
 the years had 2 bouts of tappet failure in 100 engines I would suggest tha=
t you are wise to be cautious.<div dir=3D"auto">I can&#39;t advise on the t=
appets that you have fitted but can say the I am now using sets from A H Sp=
ares which are proving to be very satisfactory and are different from those=
 I have had problems with.</div><div dir=3D"auto">I have, in B.#174, a magn=
etic oil drain plug and have found that to be a very good indicator of impe=
nding tappet failure. On the last 2 oil changes there was absolutely no met=
al on the plug.</div><div dir=3D"auto">My procedure initial start procedure=
 was to firstly remove the inner valve springs as I have found that they an=
d the additional pressure that they produce are just not required as my eng=
ine exhibits absolutely no sign of valve bounce right up to the red line.</=
div><div dir=3D"auto">I use Lucas 20/50 break in oil for the 1st 500 miles.=
=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">On first start I held the engine around 1500 =
RPM for about 20 minutes. (I have difficulty believing that this is necessa=
ry but that&#39;s what the experts recommend so you have to be sure that th=
e cooling system is in good shape).</div><div dir=3D"auto">I change to VR1 =
non synthetic 20/50 after 500 odd miles and then change the oil every 3000 =
miles.</div><div dir=3D"auto">The engine in B#174 now runs with absolutely =
NO tappet clatter which is pretty unusual for a 100.</div><div dir=3D"auto"=
>I recently checked the valve clearances and they were unchanged after 2500=
 miles, another good indicator that the cam and tappets are holding up well=
.</div><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m sure others have had different experiences=
 but I=C2=A0 would recommend that you make every effort to avoid a cam/tapp=
et failure because rectification requires a complete engine strip down.</di=
"auto">M</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0(Still running perfectly with outer s=
ss=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., May 24, 2023, 8:46 a.m. Michael MacLean, &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:springer.mike51@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">springer.mike51=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>As I get closer to starting my 100 engine =
I have yet to replace the modified Denis Welch tappets like a list member s=
uggested I do.=C2=A0 I got nervous, so I ordered a set of NOS tappets from =
Ahead4Healeys to swap with the installed Welch tappets recently.=C2=A0 Now,=
 searching the archives, I=C2=A0 find someone had problems with NOS lifters=
 after 6000 miles. Ruined a cam and the lifters.=C2=A0 So, what am I suppos=
ed to do now?=C2=A0 Should I just buy aftermarket tappets?=C2=A0 Are the af=
termarket tappets hardened correctly?=C2=A0 Why wouldn&#39;t the NOS tappet=
s be hardened right?=C2=A0 I don&#39;t want to replace the cam after I get =
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
nk">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
eys</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><b=
r>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/michael.oritt@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>