healeys

Re: [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Front wheel bearing spacers. New blog post.
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 10:43:18 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--0000000000005e130b05f29fcb4b

Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would really appreciate it if you
would add it to the comments  on my blog post.
https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/
Interestingly my understanding of "Magnaflux" testing is entirely
different. The "magnaflux" system we used in the aircraft industry
subjected the ferrous part to a magnetic field and immersed it into a bath
of spray containing iron particles. The particles would gather at the edges
of any cracks.
I was involved with a comparison test of "Magnaflux" vs penetrant dye
testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conclusion was
that the results achieved using "Magnaflux"were very much more dependent on
operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetrant system took a lot
longer.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Another good post, Michael. A couple things:
>
> - To the best of my recollection--I haven't gotten in there in a while--my
> BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars so maybe they
> were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about the car makes me think
> any of the previous owners were particularly diligent or careful with the
> car (though it was in relatively good shape when we bought it).
>
> - If you don't have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us Yankees
> call 'magnaflux'--the 'ring test' can sometimes suffice. Suspend the stub
> axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer, wrench,
> etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning fork, but if you get a dull thud
> you likely have a crack in the axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS
> to have new bushings installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was
> impressed by Dad's knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School
> mechanic himself).
>
> - I always assumed if a part wasn't absolutely necessary the BMC bean
> counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the spacer, for
> the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing broken stub axles?
>
> Bob
>

> On 1/18/2023 8:00 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
>
> https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--0000000000005e130b05f29fcb4b

ns-serif;font-size:small">Hi thanks for your comment. If possible I would r=
eally appreciate it if you would add it to the comments=C2=A0 on my blog po=
st.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif=
;font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-f=
ront-wheel-bearing-spacers/">https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-f=
ront-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Interestingly my understandin=
g of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; testing is entirely different. The &quot;magnafl=
ux&quot; system we used in the aircraft industry subjected the ferrous part=
 to a magnetic field and immersed it into a bath of spray containing iron p=
articles. The particles would gather at the edges of any cracks. <br></div>=
e:small">I was involved with a comparison test of &quot;Magnaflux&quot; vs =
penetrant dye testing on Rolls Royce Dart engine parts and the general conc=
lusion was that the results achieved using &quot;Magnaflux&quot;were very m=
uch more dependent on operator skill than penetrant dye although the penetr=
ant system took a lot longer.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br></div><=
div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size=
ss=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 3:55 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Another good post, Michael. A couple things:<br>
    - To the best of my recollection--I haven&#39;t gotten in there in a
    while--my BN2 has the spacers. I think it was one of the later cars
    so maybe they were added at the end of the run? Nothing else about
    the car makes me think any of the previous owners were particularly
    diligent or careful with the car (though it was in relatively good
    shape when we bought it).<br>
    - If you don&#39;t have facilities for using a penetrant dye--what us
    Yankees call &#39;magnaflux&#39;--the &#39;ring test&#39; can sometimes=
 suffice.
    Suspend the stub axle, preferably with wire, and give it a sharp rap
    with a hammer, wrench, etc. The axle should ring, like a tuning
    fork, but if you get a dull thud you likely have a crack in the
    axle. My dad took our stub axles up to BCS to have new bushings
    installed and reamed, and Dad said Norman Nock was impressed by
    Dad&#39;s knowledge of the ring test (Dad was an Old School mechanic
    himself).<br>
    - I always assumed if a part wasn&#39;t absolutely necessary the BMC
    bean counters would have it removed; maybe they realized keeping the
    spacer, for the BN4s and later cars was cheaper than replacing
    broken stub axles?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
font-size:small"><a href=3D"https://precisionsportscar.com/austin-healey-fr=
ont-wheel-bearing-spacers/" target=3D"_blank">https://precisionsportscar.co=
m/austin-healey-front-wheel-bearing-spacers/</a></div>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
eam.net</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>