healeys

Re: [Healeys] Healey 100-4/6 Tach

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey 100-4/6 Tach
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 08:00:51 -0500
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000f95ee405ede68765

I have encountered a couple of cases where a small amount of grease from
the cable has made its way into the speedometer or tachometer and into the
speedcup. Once there the grease can contact the magnet which makes the
needle move erratically.
Also had a couple of cases where the bush in the instrument within which
the magnet shaft rotates being so badly worn that the magnet  contacted the
speedcup occasionally producing the same effect.
To test try installing another tachometer to see if the problem goes away.

On Sat., Nov. 19, 2022, 11:52 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Tried that. Will try rerouting the sleeve.
>
> I'm pretty familiar with the speedos, having a drawerful and actually
> getting a couple to work halfway decent. A cracked odo or tripmeter
> drive gear will give a fixed-interval bounce based on speed, and the
> cable loading-up and unloading is also fairly rhythmic, but my tach just
> goes crazy. It seems like the needle needs to be damped somehow.
>

> On 11/19/2022 2:38 PM, Patrick & Caroline Quinn wrote:
> > G'day
> >
> > When a mechanical tach or speedo needle bounces, it's generally due to
> the drive cable has become too flexible due to age.
> >
> > A new cable should fix it. You don't necessarily need a new outer, just
> the internal cable.
> >
> > Hoo Roo
> >
> > Patrick Quinn
> > Blue Mountains, Australia

h makes the needle move erratically.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">Also had a coup=
le of cases where the bush in the instrument within which the magnet shaft =
rotates being so badly worn that the magnet=C2=A0 contacted the speedcup oc=
casionally producing the same effect.</div><div dir=3D"auto">To test try in=
stalling another tachometer to see if the problem goes away.</div><div dir=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat., Nov. 19, 2022, 11:52 =
p.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comc=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Tried that. =
Will try rerouting the sleeve.<br>
I&#39;m pretty familiar with the speedos, having a drawerful and actually <=
br>
getting a couple to work halfway decent. A cracked odo or tripmeter <br>
drive gear will give a fixed-interval bounce based on speed, and the <br>
cable loading-up and unloading is also fairly rhythmic, but my tach just <b=
r>
goes crazy. It seems like the needle needs to be damped somehow.<br>
On 11/19/2022 2:38 PM, Patrick &amp; Caroline Quinn wrote:<br>
&gt; G&#39;day<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; When a mechanical tach or speedo needle bounces, it&#39;s generally du=
e to the drive cable has become too flexible due to age.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A new cable should fix it. You don&#39;t necessarily need a new outer,=
 just the internal cable.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hoo Roo<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Patrick Quinn<br>
&gt; Blue Mountains, Australia<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; From: Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; O=
n Behalf Of Bob Spidell<br>
&gt; Sent: Sunday, 20 November 2022 8:20 AM<br>
&gt; To: Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_b=
lank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: [Healeys] Healey 100-4/6 Tach<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Specific to cars with mechanical tachometers:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; The tach on my 100 bounces around off-idle (OK at idle). Any one been =
able to cure this problem? Anything inside to damp the bounce that can be a=
djusted?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 I&#39;m not interested in sending to West Valley or other=
 repair shop (at least not yet).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; TIA<br>
&gt;<br>