healeys

Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid
From: Christopher Moog via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 17:55:16 -0400

--------------Sn0H145kXEHf0khKvMNWDpx6

The DOT ratings are US Department of Transportation boiling point
ratings (wet boiling I think) so DOT5 silicone boils the same range of
temperatures as DOT5.1. 5 only denotes temperature range so not
deliberately confusing but incidentally confusing.

On 10/31/2022 12:35 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> "... There is a newer Glycol Ester DOT5 ..."
>
> I think you're referring to 'DoT5.1'  I also think it was deliberately
> named so as to confuse the issue.
>

> On 10/30/2022 8:05 PM, Christopher Moog via Healeys wrote:
>> I've used both. Currently prefer DOT4.
>>
>> Also everyone is speaking of DOT5 but there are now two different
>> DOT5s. The first is the older silicone based DOT5. There is a newer
>> Glycol Ester DOT5 that is compatible with DOT3 and DOT4. It has a
>> lower viscosity than the DOT3 and DOT4 so it works better in some ABS
>> systems. It also has a higher boiling point than DOT3 and DOT4. Don't
>> see an advantage in Healeys.
>>

>> On 10/30/2022 10:00 PM, Alan Seigrist wrote:
>>> The best selling point for Dot 4 is you can mix any Dot 4 or even
>>> Dot 3 if you need to fill up.  As I understand it with Dot 5 you
>>> should be careful to always use the same brand to fill up if necessary.
>>>
>>> Also, neither Dot 5 not Dot 4 is great for sitting a long time, Dot
>>> 4 absorbs water, Dot 5 will push any water down into the components.
>>>
>>> Dot 4, if the car is not used regularly, needs to be flushed every
>>> couple of years.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 5:43 AM Michael MacLean
>>> <springer.mike51@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>     At this point in the restoration I have a completely rebuilt
>>>     brake system with all new components and tubing.  Now is the
>>>     time to make the decision to use DOT 4 or Silicone.  What's the
>>>     consensus, if there is one?
>>>     Mike MacLean

--------------Sn0H145kXEHf0khKvMNWDpx6

  <head>
  </head>
    The DOT ratings are US Department of Transportation boiling point
    ratings (wet boiling I think) so DOT5 silicone boils the same range
    of temperatures as DOT5.1. 5 only denotes temperature range so not
    deliberately confusing but incidentally confusing.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:40c9eb9a-d256-d7a7-af13-d1c36882195e@comcast.net">
      "... There is a newer Glycol Ester DOT5 ..."<br>
      I think you're referring to 'DoT5.1'  I also think it was
      deliberately named so as to confuse the issue.<br>
        Moog via Healeys wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:23e661b7-7533-9e72-5d82-591741d1ad6f@optonline.net">
          charset=UTF-8">
        I've used both. Currently prefer DOT4.<br>
        Also everyone is speaking of DOT5 but there are now two
        different DOT5s. The first is the older silicone based DOT5.
        There is a newer Glycol Ester DOT5 that is compatible with DOT3
        and DOT4. It has a lower viscosity than the DOT3 and DOT4 so it
        works better in some ABS systems. It also has a higher boiling
        point than DOT3 and DOT4. Don't see an advantage in Healeys.<br>
          Seigrist wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFBXTkL8Mxu5hz8=3j2x-jwj5vAfPZbvWXtbdup84jCLYUpG=w@mail.gmail.com">
            charset=UTF-8">
            any Dot 4 or even Dot 3 if you need to fill up.  As I
            understand it with Dot 5 you should be careful to always use
            the same brand to fill up if necessary.<br>
            Also, neither Dot 5 not Dot 4 is great for sitting a long
            time, Dot 4 absorbs water, Dot 5 will push any water down
            into the components.<br>
            Dot 4, if the car is not used regularly, needs to be flushed
            every couple of years.<br>
              5:43 AM Michael MacLean &lt;<a
                href="mailto:springer.mike51@gmail.com";
                moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">springer.mike51@gmail.com</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
              0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
              rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  completely rebuilt brake system with all new
                  components and tubing.  Now is the time to make the
                  decision to use DOT 4 or Silicone.  What's the
                  consensus, if there is one?</div>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"