healeys

Re: [Healeys] Radiator cap for BN2

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Radiator cap for BN2
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:20:52 -0700

--------------X9uebTutbd7KKiZRU70ev000

Original inquiry was whether I should use a 4lb or 7lb cap for my BN2.
The 15-pounder came out of the blue; guess my inquiry could have been a
bit clearer (I think some thought I wanted to use 'a' higher pressure
rather than 'the' higher of the two, 4 or 7).

Anyway, I've ordered a 7psi cap.

bs

On 7/18/2022 11:58 AM, Michael Oritt wrote:
> If the inquiry is prompted by seeking to increase water's boiling
> point then according to EngineeringToolbox.com 15 psi only raises it
> to 213 degrees, so little if nothing is gained at the risk of damaging
> the cooling system.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 2:03 PM Henry G Leach via Healeys
> <healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>     Ok-at least three reasons to not go higher than 7 lbs.:
>
>     1- Weak link heater core element
>     2- Spring rate in water pump at max
>     3- freeze plugs will pop under higher pressure
>
>     Consider the precarious condition of the 100 head gasket and the
>     fact that 7lbs. will keep a properly maintained cooling system at
>     functional temperature...and the book says use 7lbs., so the
>     conclusion is stick to the specs supplied by the manufacturer.
>
>     Keep the 15lb. caps on cars specified for their use (like most US)
>     and don't let your 100 overheat due to poor cooling system
>     maintainece. That should make up your mind Bob, as to which cap to
>     use. Good input from the field! Hank
>
>     -----------------------------------------

  <head>
  </head>
    Original inquiry was whether I should use a 4lb or 7lb cap for my
    BN2. The 15-pounder came out of the blue; guess my inquiry could
    have been a bit clearer (I think some thought I wanted to use 'a'
    higher pressure rather than 'the' higher of the two, 4 or 7).<br>
    Anyway, I've ordered a 7psi cap.<br>
    bs<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAPTa0B7XCqysnXqJP2YyOyydHag2GyOUzFbozEfOdkwZX=m10g@mail.gmail.com">
          is prompted by seeking to increase water's boiling point
          then according to EngineeringToolbox.com 15 psi only raises it
          to 213 degrees, so little if nothing is gained at the risk of
          damaging the cooling system.</div>
          Oritt</div>
          PM Henry G Leach via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              gasket and the fact that 7lbs. will keep a properly
              maintained cooling system at functional temperature...and
              the book says use 7lbs., so the conclusion is stick to the
              specs supplied by the manufacturer.</div>
              (like most US) and don't let your 100 overheat due to poor
              cooling system maintainece. That should make up your mind
              Bob, as to which cap to use. Good input from the field!
              Hank<br>
                wirh exceeding 7 p.s.i. is the water pump seal. They
                will typically
                start to leak at around 10 - 12 p.s.i.
                  2022, 6:04 a.m.
                  john harper, &lt;<a
moz-do-not-send="true">ah100tech@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                      of core plugs
                      as already stated but because the heater core on
                      the
                      BN1/2 may not stand the higher pressure.</div>
                      2022 at 03:11,
                      Henry G Leach via Healeys &lt;<a
                        moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
                      0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                      rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                        cap-worked on a 100-6
                        with blown freeze plugs as a result of the
                        15pounder. Early 100s
                        used a 4 lb. cap, but the later (BN2) cars went
                        to 7 lb. (each
                        additional pound gives higher temp tolerance,
                        but too much of a
                        good thing is bad. There is always the head
                        gasket to consider as
                        well.  Hank<br>
                        I see both 4psi and 7psi mentioned; any issues
                        going with the
                        higher<br>
                        pressure cap?<br>
                        TIA<br>
                        Support Team.Net <a
                          href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                        /&gt; Suggested annual donation $12.75<br>
                        Archive: <a
                          href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                        /&gt;<br>
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                        <a
                          href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                        /&gt;<br>
                        Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/gradea1@charter.net";
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/gradea1@charter.net</a><br>
                        /&gt;<br>
                      Support Team.Net <a
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                      Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                      Archive: <a
                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                      <a
                        href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ah100tech@gmail.com";
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ah100tech@gmail.com</a><br>
                  Support Team.Net <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                  Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                  Archive: <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                  <a
                    href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"