healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:44:09 -0700

--------------003945F0EFDB3BF1D033FD69

I was going to suggest a 'gun-drilled' cam from DWM, but it appears they
don't make them for the 4-cyl cars. Putting extra oil on the wear
surfaces has to be a good thing.

On 8/5/2021 5:39 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> The first sign of problems was having to adjust the tappets which had
> initially been silent after 2000 miles and then again at 4500.
> After adjusting they were still audible and had previously been silent.
> Then at the 2000 and 4000 mile oil changes there was "fir" in the
> drain plug magnet.
> I'm very disappointed to have destroyed a very low mileage "M" cam and
> a set of NOS lifters that I had been saving for decades.
> I'm seriously considering having silicon nitride lifters manufactured
> but at over $1000 a set its a serious investment.

> On Wed., Aug. 4, 2021, 10:47 a.m. Steven Kingsbury,
> <airtightproductions@icloud.com
>
>     I just rebuilt my 100 engine and purchased my lifters from AH
>     Spares in the UK. These were their new design for better oil flow.
>     I now have 1000 miles or so on the new engine and once I got my
>     problems figured out with my distributor, the car is running well
>     and smooth.
>        Now I'm wondering when the other shoe is going to drop! What
>     problems did you have pointing you to the lifters as the source of
>     those problems? When I retorqued the head, I readjusted the
>     rockers and found no problems. They were a little off, but I
>     expected a little.
>        What should I be looking for? I used Driven Break In oil and
>     then I switched to VR1 like you after 500 miles. I have been
>     driving the car to build up some trust in it and it's turning in
>     to a joy to drive. I've got M mods on this engine, cam, H6 carbs,
>     M pistons and these new lifters. So far, so good.
>        Thanks for your help,
>     Steven Kingsbury
>     BN1
>
>     On August 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM, Michael Salter via Healeys
>
>>     After only 6000 miles the NOS BMC lifters that I installed in my
>>     engine with a very low mileage "M" cam have started to deteriorate.
>>     This engine has had a steady diet of VR1 non synthetic and it has
>>     had 4 changes in 6K miles.
>>     Very disappointing.
>>     I'm  considering trying bucket type Buick lifters with longer
>>     push rods and a new cam.
>>     Does anyone have experience with the durability of the old Buick
>>     lifters ... getting a little desperate here.
>>     Fortunately I caught this issue before it ruined the engine.

--------------003945F0EFDB3BF1D033FD69

  <head>
  </head>
    I was going to suggest a 'gun-drilled' cam from DWM, but it appears
    they don't make them for the 4-cyl cars. Putting extra oil on the
    wear surfaces has to be a good thing.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+s-sAKSef5ZMCoVJ17Y2Yqu8a4ewvLkEDmqzTay4TxSQ@mail.gmail.com">
        the tappets which had initially been silent after 2000 miles and
        then again at 4500.
          previously been silent.</div>
          was "fir" in the drain plug magnet.</div>
          low mileage "M" cam and a set of NOS lifters that I had been
          saving for decades.</div>
          lifters manufactured but at over $1000 a set its a serious
          investment.</div>
          a.m. Steven Kingsbury, &lt;<a
            href="mailto:airtightproductions@icloud.com";
            moz-do-not-send="true">airtightproductions@icloud.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
              from AH Spares in the UK. These were their new design for
              better oil flow. I now have 1000 miles or so on the new
              engine and once I got my problems figured out with my
              distributor, the car is running well and smooth.</div>
              drop! What problems did you have pointing you to the
              lifters as the source of those problems? When I retorqued
              the head, I readjusted the rockers and found no problems.
              They were a little off, but I expected a little.</div>
              oil and then I switched to VR1 like you after 500 miles. I
              have been driving the car to build up some trust in it and
              it's turning in to a joy to drive. I've got M mods on this
              engine, cam, H6 carbs, M pistons and these new lifters. So
              far, so good. </div>
              On August 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM, Michael Salter via Healeys
              &lt;<a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
                    lifters that I installed in my engine with a very
                    low mileage "M" cam have started to deteriorate.
                      VR1 non synthetic and it has had 4 changes in 6K
                      miles. </div>
                      Buick lifters with longer push rods and a new cam.</div>
                      durability of the old Buick lifters ... getting a
                      little desperate here.</div>
                      before it ruined the engine.</div>

--------------003945F0EFDB3BF1D033FD69--

--===============3329345343016742761==