healeys

Re: [Healeys] Platform lifting a Healey

To: Hank Leach <gradea1@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Platform lifting a Healey
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:32:53 -0400
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000e13b2305bff3d040

A socket also works well for the spacer but guaranteed it will be the size
that you need for the job that you have planned.

On Wed., Apr. 14, 2021, 1:53 p.m. Henry G Leach via Healeys, <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Guys- another real important point to take into consideration when liftin=
> your Healey and "hanging" the front suspension.  Place a 2" block (for 10=
0)
> between the shock arm and frame plate (I believe it is 1-1/2" for the
> 3000), BEFORE you attempt to raise the car off the ground in this
> manner.(photo)
>
> This is in the workshop manual and if you ignore that passage, you will
> crush and destroy the rubber rebound on the shock tower...it's then nearl=
> impossible to replace them without removing the shock.
>
> I made these out of a block of 1-1/8" plywood subfloor.  I cut one side t=
> 2" high and the other side to 1-1/2". That way I could use it on both car=
s.
> Make two, so if you lift the car from the front crossmember, with a floor
> jack (careful there-use padding), insert them each, first, and then lift
> the car.
>
> If you lift it safely, as Perry suggests, you will not crush the rebound
> or split open the cross frame seam with a bottle jack. This issue is also=
> factor on two post lifts with outriggers.  Bad idea for Healeys! But I ha=
ve
> seen these poor methods done countless times. I recommend a 4 post lift
> with adjustable ramps.(Bendpak shown)  Hank

 will be the size that you need for the job that you have planned.<div dir=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed., Apr. 14, 2021, 1:53 p=
.m. Henry G Leach via Healeys, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
1ex"><div><br>Guys- another real important point to take into consideration=
 when lifting your Healey and &quot;hanging&quot; the front suspension.=C2=
=A0 Place a 2&quot; block (for 100) between the shock arm and frame plate (=
I believe it is 1-1/2&quot; for the 3000), BEFORE you attempt to raise the =
 workshop manual and if you ignore that passage, you will crush and destroy=
 the rubber rebound on the shock tower...it&#39;s then nearly impossible to=
hese out of a block of 1-1/8&quot; plywood subfloor.=C2=A0 I cut one side t=
o 2&quot; high and the other side to 1-1/2&quot;. That way I could use it o=
n both cars. Make two, so if you lift the car from the front crossmember, w=
ith a floor jack (careful there-use padding), insert them each, first, and =
 suggests, you will not crush the rebound or split open the cross frame sea=
m with a bottle jack. This issue is also a factor on two post lifts with ou=
triggers.=C2=A0 Bad idea for Healeys! But I have seen these poor methods do=
ne countless times. I recommend a 4 post lift with adjustable ramps.(Bendpa=
ref=3D"mailto:55healey@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">55=
healey@comcast.net</a>&quot;<br>Cc: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.t=
eam.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&qu=
ot;<br>Sent: Wednesday April 14 2021 10:12:56AM<br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] P=
latform lift<br><br>
On many unibody type vehicles the recommended location to lift
those vehicles is the lower edge of the front fender / rocker panel
for normal jacking while changing a flat tire.=C2=A0
used under a suspension point. Handbook states for front wheel
change, jack under the=C2=A0 outer rim of the spring lower plate
.</div>
rear axle, with the lipped end on the outside of the spring end up
against the spring &quot;U&quot; bolt.=C2=A0</div>
color:#000000">