healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100 rocker shaft question

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 rocker shaft question
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:56:46 +0800
Cc: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>

--0000000000000d4b5005bc5d7e2c

Hi Bob -

I had them do it maybe about 12 years ago, but for various reasons I
haven't put much miles on the car since then.  Getting it back together so
I can enjoy it now.

I think the easy thing to do is just order a pedestal from the usual and
replace it myself.

Cheers,

Alan

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hah. I was going to suggest you send it to rockerarms.com, but figured
> shipping would be prohibitive.
>
> BTW, when did rockerarms rebuild your shaft? There's been at least one
> change of ownership and a name change, I think, and responses have been
> spotty. They did my BJ8's shaft many years ago, and it's held up well.
>
> Bob
>
> On 2/27/2021 7:44 PM, Alan Seigrist via Healeys wrote:
>
> All -
>
> Okay I got alot of great feedback, thank you.  Took the rocker off and the
> pedestals slide around.   Was a bit confused at first because this is for
> my A90, and I have a spare a90 rocker from 1949 which is different, and on
> that one the rocker pedestals are an interference fit (the rocker arms and
> pushrods on an early A90 are really cool, but complicated... they eliminate
> tappet noise but are too fiddly and complicated).
>
> But my A90 actually has a later motor which is the same as a 100, and I
> have a rebuilt rocker on it from rockerarms.com.
>
> It seems the two inner pedestals are free floating, and the two outer
> pedestals have a slight interference - I think the interference fit is to
> hold the shaft in placeso that the banjo bolt will go in the hole on the
> shaft.  I can remove the outer pedestals off with a slight tapping with a
> rubber mallot.
>
> Anyway, hope that helps.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 8:18 AM Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks to me I have to heat them up - will they slide on or do I hammer
>> them on when hot?
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> All -
>>>
>>> either me or a previous mechanic bunged up the banjo bolt hole on my
>>> rocker shaft.  either way I have to replace the pedestal.
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to remove the pedestals from the rocker shaft so I
>>> can replace the broken one?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Alan

--0000000000000d4b5005bc5d7e2c

2 years ago, but for various reasons I haven&#39;t put much miles on the ca=
r since then.=C2=A0 Getting it back together so I can enjoy it now.</div><d=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Bob Spidell =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px=
 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Hah. I was going to suggest you send it to <a href=3D"http://rockerarms=
.com" target=3D"_blank">rockerarms.com</a>, but
    figured shipping would be prohibitive.<br>
    BTW, when did rockerarms rebuild your shaft? There&#39;s been at least
    one change of ownership and a name change, I think, and responses
    have been spotty. They did my BJ8&#39;s shaft many years ago, and it&#3=
9;s
    held up well.<br>
    Bob<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
     =20
Took the
          rocker off and the pedestals slide around.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Was a bit
          confused at first because this is for my A90, and I have a
          spare a90 rocker from 1949 which is different, and on that one
          the rocker pedestals are an interference fit (the rocker arms
          and pushrods on an early A90 are really cool, but
          complicated... they eliminate tappet noise but are too fiddly
          and complicated).</div>
          a 100, and I have a rebuilt rocker on it from <a href=3D"http://r=
ockerarms.com" target=3D"_blank">rockerarms.com</a>.=C2=A0</div>
          two outer pedestals have a slight interference - I think the
          interference fit is to hold the shaft in placeso that the
          banjo bolt will go in the hole on the shaft.=C2=A0 I can remove t=
he
          outer pedestals off with a slight tapping with a rubber
          mallot.</div>
          AM Alan Seigrist &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; targ=
et=3D"_blank">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
              8:04 AM Alan Seigrist &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.=
com" target=3D"_blank">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  banjo bolt hole on my rocker shaft.=C2=A0 either way I ha=
ve
                  to replace the pedestal.</div>
                  the rocker shaft so=C2=A0I can replace=C2=A0the broken on=
e?</div>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=