healeys

Re: [Healeys] Caswell zinc plating kit

To: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Caswell zinc plating kit
From: richard mayor <boyracer466@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 13:09:08 -0800
Cc: John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000a0f69a05bc2f9001

I second the notion of using the white cadmium plating. I did the same
thing here in Portland a few years back with a 5 gallon bucket of
fasteners. There are economies of scale so if you go that route so do as
many fasteners and small brackets as you can at that one time.  I think the
white cad is so much more pleasing to the eye than today's zinc plating.

My pro.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Curtis Arndt via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I used Caswell "Copy Cad" for years, and while the results were very good,
> it took a learning curve to get there, *and it was very time consuming*.
>
> In the end, I took my large buckets of clean wire brushed fasteners for my
> BN1 restoration to Burbank Plating and had them all done in white Cadmium.
> White Cad not only gives the same look as Zinc done 60+ years ago, it's
> four times more rust resistant.
>
> Now Burbank normally does not do fasteners for car hobbyists as people
> still think they can bring in a rusty coffee can full of crappy rusty
> fasteners and have them come back looking like new for $20.  Those days are
> long gone.  They do mostly contract, new production fasteners.
>
> I brought in a more than 'full" five gallon bucket of fasteners (more like
> six plus gallons) that were all derusted, cleaned, inspected (threads and
> heads were all good) and wire brushed... They were pristine. The owner said
> that he would love to do them for me, *and only because I gave him
> fasteners worthy of the time and effort to replate*. They individually
> wired ALL of the fasteners down to the smallest ones, and did not lose
> one!  They even did my excellent condition, original brake and fuel lines.
> At $600 it wasn't cheap, but a deal and worth every dollar spent.
>
> BTW They do ALL of the fastener plating for Jay Leno's cars.  FWIW, the
> owner is a 6' 3" blond haired and bearded 30 something gentleman who looks
> like a Northwest or Canadian lumberjack.
>
> BTW their shop is immaculate, yes imagine a plating shop that looks that
> good, and try as they might, the A$$HOLE EPA inspectors have not been able
> to find any violations in their procedures.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Curt
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I used Caswell's zinc kit for several years on three projects.  I did
>> most of the setup myself, using only the chemicals.  Worked quite well for
>> small parts, hardware and things like relay covers.  for prolonging the
>> look you can use a clear coat over it.  Like most things it has a learning
>> curve.
>>
>> John
>> 64/66 BJ8s
>>
>> On 2/24/2021 9:08 PM, Alan Seigrist via Healeys wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone have experience with these?  Are these kits worth it?  Is the
>> zinc plating decent enough?

>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/cnaarndt@gmail.com

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/boyracer466@gmail.com

--000000000000a0f69a05bc2f9001

g. I did the same thing here in Portland a few years back with a 5 gallon b=
ucket of fasteners. There are economies of scale so if you go that route so=
 do as many fasteners and small brackets as you can at that one time.=C2=A0=
 I think the white cad is so much more pleasing to the eye than today&#39;s=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Feb=
 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM Curtis Arndt via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
v><div>I used Caswell &quot;Copy Cad&quot; for years, and while the results=
 were very good, it took a learning curve to get there, <u>and=C2=A0it was =
kets of clean wire brushed fasteners for my BN1 restoration to Burbank Plat=
ing and had them all done in white Cadmium.=C2=A0 White Cad not only gives=
=C2=A0the same look as Zinc=C2=A0done 60+ years ago, it&#39;s four times mo=
 not do fasteners for car hobbyists=C2=A0as people still think they can bri=
ng=C2=A0in a rusty coffee can full of crappy rusty fasteners=C2=A0and have =
them come back looking like new for $20.=C2=A0 Those days are long gone.=C2=
asteners (more like six plus gallons) that were all derusted, cleaned, insp=
ected (threads and heads were all good) and wire brushed... They were prist=
ine. The owner said that he would love to do them for me, <u>and only becau=
se I gave him fasteners worthy of the time and effort to replate</u>. They =
individually wired ALL of the fasteners=C2=A0down to the smallest ones, and=
 did not lose one!=C2=A0 They even did my excellent=C2=A0condition, origina=
l brake and fuel lines.=C2=A0 At $600 it wasn&#39;t cheap, but a deal and w=
he fastener plating=C2=A0for Jay Leno&#39;s cars.=C2=A0 FWIW, the owner is =
a 6&#39; 3&quot; blond haired and bearded 30 something gentleman=C2=A0who l=
their shop is immaculate, yes imagine a plating shop that looks that good, =
and=C2=A0try as they might, the A$$HOLE EPA inspectors have not been able t=
iv dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:49 AM John Vr=
ugtman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:javrugtman@htcnet.org"; target=3D"_blank">javru=
style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);pa=
dding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    I used Caswell&#39;s zinc kit for several years on three projects.=C2=
=A0 I
    did most of the setup myself, using only the chemicals.=C2=A0 Worked
    quite well for small parts, hardware and things like relay covers.=C2=
=A0
    for prolonging the look you can use a clear coat over it.=C2=A0 Like mo=
st
    things it has a learning curve.<br>
    John<br>
    64/66 BJ8s<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
     =20
se
        kits worth it?=C2=A0 Is the zinc plating decent enough?</div>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>