healeys

Re: [Healeys] Timing Chain Tensioners

To: Mirek Sharp <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing Chain Tensioners
From: Michael Oritt via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:27:53 -0500
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000029726d05bbf37ae8

When rebuilding the MGA 1622 engine in my former Elva Courier race car I
used an "upgraded" tensioner sourced from Jaguar--apparently same or
similar to the unit of which several folks have spoken.
I did so because it was "cheap insurance" for a part that is difficult to
inspect, the failure of which can have dire results.
I don't know if I made the correct decision because while the new tensioner
worked just fine so too did the "standard" one it replaced.

Best--Michael Oritt

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM m.g.sharp--- via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> The DW tensioner is significantly different from either of the two  that
> Michael is referring to, and substantial more expensive than either.  I d=
id
> some "research" on the web (as a scientist I struggle calling that
> research) when investigating tensioners for my current rebuild and from
> what I can figure out there are at least three tensioners on the market
> that will work.  This same tensioner fits MGBs, Jaguar XK engines and Lan=
> Rovers, and the majority of chatter on the web is from Jag and MGB owners=
.

> 1.      This is the =E2=80=9Cbase=E2=80=9D model which is readily availab=
le and is a copy
> of the original part.   The web revealed a number of reports of the rubbe=
> pad un-bonding or the whole piston popping out.  I suspect the latter mus=
> be due to a stretched chain allowing the piston to come out too far.  Man=
> of the failures of the rubber un-bonding are from racing applications but
> there are a lot from road cars as well.  One English builder who races MG=
Bs
> says that all his failures were on race engines and he thinks failures on
> road cars are very rare, but he is talking of MGBs.   Many reports name t=
he
> manufacturer as =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D, although there could be more tha=
n one source of
> this base model.  This is the =E2=80=9Cbase=E2=80=9D one that MOSS suppli=
es and you can see
> =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D stamped into the casting in their illustration.  =
It is $13 USD
> 2.      A French company called Renolds makes an upgraded tensioner that
> is visually similar to the original but apparently has better pad materia=
> this is the one Mike has illustrated on his post.  I could only find one
> report of the bonding failing on this tensioner.  Reports vary, but it
> seems this part is the OEM Jag replacement available from dealers as part=
 #
> EAC3629.  Some people had reported getting the Rolon part supplied from J=
ag
> dealers, and one report said both were available as OEM and =E2=80=9Cupgr=
aded=E2=80=9D OEM
> from his Jag dealer.  This is the tensioner sold by MOSS as their =E2=80=
=9Cpremium=E2=80=9D
> tensioner.  It appears available from other sources including Jaguar
> dealerships.  It is $90 USD.
> 3.      The third one is described as a =E2=80=9Chydraulic=E2=80=9D tensi=
oner.  This is
> the one sold by DW for 130 GBP.  I think that A-H spares sells the same o=
ne
> for 90 GBP, but the difference may be the VAT.  The one from DW has =E2=
=80=9CDWR=E2=80=9D
> stamped into it, but they may be adding that themselves.  This has a nylo=
> slipper and it is narrower than the chain, whereas the other two have
> rubber pads slightly wider than the chain.  I cannot find any reports of
> this type failing, but I did find a report of it being a poor fit.  Oddly=
,
> the chat lines that had extensive discussion =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D vs =
=E2=80=9CRenolds=E2=80=9D, do not
> mention this tensioner at all, so no information on reliability, which
> really means no failures (who takes the front end apart to check the
> tensioner is OK?).  However, I am sure that relatively speaking, very few
> of these have been fitted relative to all the Jag rebuilds using the
> Renolds unit and there are probably 1000s of the Rolon units running in
> MGBs.
>
> Regarding them all being hydraulic, there is a bit of confusion, but
> several sources say that the oil feed is just to lubricate the pad and th=
> tension is all provided by the spring.  However the DW one is said to be
> truly hydraulic.  Whether oil pressures assists with tension on the first
> two, or dampens the piston movement caused by oscillations of the chain,
> has been raised as a question, but no definitive answer.
>
> That is the sum total of what I know about timing chain tensioners.  For
> the record, I opted for Moss' "Premium" tensioner (#2 above).
>
> Cheers, Mirek
> '59 BT7

rebuilding the MGA 1622 engine=C2=A0in my former Elva Courier race car I us=
ed an &quot;upgraded&quot; tensioner sourced from Jaguar--apparently same o=
r similar to the unit of which several folks have spoken.</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">I did so because it was &quot;ch=
eap insurance&quot; for a part that is difficult to inspect, the failure of=
 which can have dire results.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"color:#3333ff">I don&#39;t know if I made the correct decision be=
cause while the new tensioner worked just fine so too did the &quot;standar=
d&quot; one it replaced.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#=
class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:09 PM m.g.sharp--- via Heale=
ys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px =
0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">The =
DW tensioner is significantly different from either of the two=C2=A0 that M=
ichael is referring to, and substantial more expensive than either.=C2=A0 I=
 did some &quot;research&quot; on the web (as a scientist I struggle callin=
g that research) when investigating tensioners for my current rebuild and f=
rom what I can figure out there are at least three tensioners on the market=
 that will work.=C2=A0 This same tensioner fits MGBs, Jaguar XK engines and=
 Land Rovers, and the majority of chatter on the web is from Jag and MGB ow=
ners.<br>
1.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 This is the =E2=80=9Cbase=E2=80=9D model which is re=
adily available and is a copy of the original part.=C2=A0 =C2=A0The web rev=
ealed a number of reports of the rubber pad un-bonding or the whole piston =
popping out.=C2=A0 I suspect the latter must be due to a stretched chain al=
lowing the piston to come out too far.=C2=A0 Many of the failures of the ru=
bber un-bonding are from racing applications but there are a lot from road =
cars as well.=C2=A0 One English builder who races MGBs says that all his fa=
ilures were on race engines and he thinks failures on road cars are very ra=
re, but he is talking of MGBs.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Many reports name the manufactur=
er as =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D, although there could be more than one source=
 of this base model.=C2=A0 This is the =E2=80=9Cbase=E2=80=9D one that MOSS=
 supplies and you can see =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D stamped into the casting =
in their illustration.=C2=A0 It is $13 USD<br>
2.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 A French company called Renolds makes an upgraded te=
nsioner that is visually similar to the original but apparently has better =
pad material=C2=A0 this is the one Mike has illustrated on his post.=C2=A0 =
I could only find one report of the bonding failing on this tensioner.=C2=
=A0 Reports vary, but it seems this part is the OEM Jag replacement availab=
le from dealers as part # EAC3629.=C2=A0 Some people had reported getting t=
he Rolon part supplied from Jag dealers, and one report said both were avai=
lable as OEM and =E2=80=9Cupgraded=E2=80=9D OEM from his Jag dealer.=C2=A0 =
This is the tensioner sold by MOSS as their =E2=80=9Cpremium=E2=80=9D tensi=
oner.=C2=A0 It appears available from other sources including Jaguar dealer=
ships.=C2=A0 It is $90 USD.<br>
3.=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 The third one is described as a =E2=80=9Chydraulic=
=E2=80=9D tensioner.=C2=A0 This is=C2=A0 the one sold by DW for 130 GBP.=C2=
=A0 I think that A-H spares sells the same one for 90 GBP, but the differen=
ce may be the VAT.=C2=A0 The one from DW has =E2=80=9CDWR=E2=80=9D stamped =
into it, but they may be adding that themselves.=C2=A0 This has a nylon sli=
pper and it is narrower than the chain, whereas the other two have rubber p=
ads slightly wider than the chain.=C2=A0 I cannot find any reports of this =
type failing, but I did find a report of it being a poor fit.=C2=A0 Oddly, =
the chat lines that had extensive discussion =E2=80=9CRolon=E2=80=9D vs =E2=
=80=9CRenolds=E2=80=9D, do not mention this tensioner at all, so no informa=
tion on reliability, which really means no failures (who takes the front en=
d apart to check the tensioner is OK?).=C2=A0 However, I am sure that relat=
ively speaking, very few of these have been fitted relative to all the Jag =
rebuilds using the Renolds unit and there are probably 1000s of the Rolon u=
nits running in MGBs.<br>
Regarding them all being hydraulic, there is a bit of confusion, but severa=
l sources say that the oil feed is just to lubricate the pad and the tensio=
n is all provided by the spring.=C2=A0 However the DW one is said to be tru=
ly hydraulic.=C2=A0 Whether oil pressures assists with tension on the first=
 two, or dampens the piston movement caused by oscillations of the chain, h=
as been raised as a question, but no definitive answer.<br>
That is the sum total of what I know about timing chain tensioners.=C2=A0 F=
or the record, I opted for Moss&#39; &quot;Premium&quot; tensioner (#2 abov=
e).<br>
Cheers, Mirek<br>
&#39;59 BT7<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>